Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Garden!
The Garden is currently seeking Garden Guides for our summer drop-in tours that are offered weekly, every Thursday and Friday, July and August at 1pm.
Volunteer guides play a vital role in our mission by bringing the collection to life through engaging educational interactions with garden visitors. For this role, we are seeking volunteers who are passionate about ecology and botany, eager to share their knowledge with others, and interested in learning more about the plant world and biodiversity.
As Garden Guides, volunteers help to connect our community to nature. Training to guides is provided along with opportunities to skill-up their skills and connect with experts in the garden.
Have questions? Contact email@example.com
Garden Guide Volunteer Position Description
The mission of the Garden is “to assemble, curate and maintain a documented collection of temperate plants for the purposes of research, conservation, education and public outreach.” Guides play a vital role in our mission by bringing the collection to life through engaging educational interactions with garden visitors. For this role, we are seeking volunteers who are passionate about ecology and botany, eager to share their knowledge with others, and interested in learning more about the plant world and biodiversity.
Guides lead one-hour tours of the UBC Botanical Garden, sharing information about the collections and the history of the Garden.
- Provide guided tours and share information about the history and the collections of UBC Botanical Garden
- Provide excellent customer service and answer general questions
- Promote respect for the Garden so as to minimize visitor damage to plants and garden structures.
- As volunteers gain experience, help to train future guides
- Outgoing, enthusiastic and flexible
- Basic understanding of ecology, biodiversity and botany
- Previous experience working with children, youth and/or adults of various backgrounds.
- Strong communication skills
- Highly reliable and professional
- Ability to spend up to 2 hours standing and walking outside
- Expand knowledge of biodiversity and botany through exclusive training and development opportunities
- Meet new, like-minded people
- Visit the Garden for free
- Gain valuable training, and experience in public speaking and informal education
- Receive invitations to special events and ongoing training opportunities
Time Commitment for Summer Guides
Summer Guides must be able to commit to:
- 2 training sessions which take place at the Garden
- giving 2 Garden tours per month for July and August
If this position sounds like a good fit for you, we invite you to apply to join our team!
Selected candidates will be invited to the orientation session.
If you are interested in volunteering please fill out this application form.
If you have questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org, with "volunteer application" in the subject line.
Do you have time to make a bigger commitment? Join the Friends of the Garden.
Click here for details.