All School Group visits must be booked through our online booking form
All Groups must read carefully our Code of Conduct and bring a signed copy of it the day of the visit.
Signup for our Educator Email Updates
6804 Southwest Marine Dr.
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z4
Get your students engaged and active with outdoor curriculum-connected education at the UBC Botanical Garden! With nearly 80 acres (32 hectares) of outdoor space, the Garden offers tours and activities that expand student awareness and education of the natural world.
Bring your class to UBC Botanical Garden and:
- Trek along our treetop canopy walkway nearly 20 m high in the forest
- Learn how food is grown, saved and shared
- Experience the sounds and smells of the Temperate Rainforest
Book your Garden Adventure!
The Garden sparks curiosity of plants, people and places, at all grade levels! The vocabulary and content of our 2014 Guided Field Trips can be altered to accommodate age and levels of your students.
Garden admission is FREE for all teachers!!!
UBC Botanical Garden is a great place to take your class. Whether you teach preschool, elementary, secondary or post-secondary your curriculum through our guided tours and activities. We encourage teachers to visit the Garden (on us!) to become familiar with all the Garden has to offer. Show your teacher federation or association ID and get complimentary admission for you and one guest.
Join our Educator Mailing List! Be among the first to learn about new pilot projects, classroom resources, field trip programs, and new opportunities. Join our mailing list by signing up on our website.
Curriculum-connected Garden Tours
Seasonal Garden Tour
60 minutes | Child: $6.50, Youth: $8, Adult: $10
Take your students on a walking plant adventure through our Asian garden, Gary Oak Meadow, Food Garden and medieval Physic Garden. Along the way, students walk through moon tunnels and past eagle trees, observe native bees and learn about the many ways in which organisms and environment are interconnected. Whether you are teaching students about the natural world, forests, biomes, food or ecosystems we have something for you on this introductory tour of Garden. Click here for Primary Learning Outcomes for this tour.
Incredible Edibles: Food and Physic Gardens
60 minutes | Child: $6.50, Youth: $8, Adult: $10
Food connects us all – across people, cultures and the planet. Take your students on a discovery of Vancouver’s oldest food demonstration garden and a 16th Century medicinal garden where they can touch and smell fresh herbs, observe seasonal fruits and vegetables and learn about pollinators. Whether you are teaching students about ecology, human geography, agriculture or cooking we have some food for thought for you and your students.
Treetop Forest Canopy Adventures
Canopy Walkway Tour
45 minutes | Child: $10, Youth: $15, Adult: $20
Take your students high in the treetop canopy to explore our 308 m long aerial adventure where they can observe plants and animals from 17.5 m above the forest floor! Whether you are teaching your students about forests, biomes or ecosystems, we offer a truly unique opportunity to tour a sustainable outdoor adventure designed with the trees in mind.
Canopy Walkway & Garden Tour
90-120 minutes | Child: $12, Youth: $18, Adult: $23
Come discover the forest above, below and in between on our guided forest tour! Take your students on a tree tour where they can learn about the importance of forests to biodiversity, how trees clean our air and the interconnectedness of trees to people, plants and the planet. Meet the grand firs, Douglas firs, and western red cedar. Whether you are teaching students about conservation, ecology or forestry our diversity of species offers an abundance of tree stories.
Other Garden Experiences
Nitobe Japanese Garden Tour
45 minutes | Child: $3.50, Youth: $5, Adult: $6
Come discover our authentic Japanese garden where students experience a symbolic human journey through life and time by walking through our stroll garden to our tea garden to view our traditional tea house.
Self-Led Garden Experiences
Child: $4.50, Youth: $6, Adult: $8
Explore our many gardens and ecosystems with your students at your own pace and with your own focus. Whether you are teaching natural history, or exploring North America’s diverse geographical regions you design and lead your won lessons. The duration of your visit is flexible to suit your needs.
- Guided school field trips can be booked between 10 am – 3 pm on Tuesday and Thursdays. Please factor approximately 15 to 20 minutes at the beginning and end of your tour to leave time for washroom breaks, group organization, admission, and time to and from the garden entrance.
- Minimum of 10 students required for guided tours.
- One free adult (teacher or chaperone) per 8 students is required. In the event that adults are not properly supervising children within the Garden, adults will be asked to pay the cost of admission. This is done to ensure that children are respectfully enjoying the Garden.
- Transportation and parking are not included.
- All prices are subject to GST.
- No passes or coupons with school bookings.
- Educational programs are subject to change. UBC Botanical Garden reserves the right to cancel, chance or reschedule at booking due to unforeseen circumstances such as staffing issues or weather.