Jasper National Park

Jasper National Park

I was asked in the comments recently if I had time to photograph autumn colours. Last week, I was in the Alberta and British Columbia Rockies hoping to do just that, but because of the hot and dry autumn, colours were overall poor. In fact, many trees had crisped brown leaves instead of any sort of colouration. This photograph is from my 2011 trip. It's a good example of how photographs can omit--the split stream flows through a triangular piece of land bordered by roads (which you can see via the Google Map).

The yellow-leaved trees are young black cottonwood or Populus trichocarpa while I believe the conifers in the foreground are Engelmann spruce, Picea engelmannii. The other possibilities for the conifers are Picea glauca (white spruce) or the hybrid between the two species.

Debra commented:

I really like this photo.

thank you daniel autum memories are fine so are pictures
in ones album to share and discuss over a hot glass of cider

for from here to where the river meets the sky
lies a great empty expanse,
a great empty expanse which is aplaze with
leaves in flame
mao tse tung

Ado_Annie commented:

Such a beautiful sight. Here, on the Gulf Coast of Texas, there is little in the way of foliage to designate autumn, just the day time temps dropping from the high 90's to the high 80's. Thank you for a breath of fresh air.

Bonnie commented:

Thank you Daniel for sharing fall colors. Here in TX where I live fall is brown and down. The drought was hard again on my Bradford Pear, it lost all of its leaves long ago. I was told by city forester that it is not a good tree for here. To bad I didn't know that before planting it.

Melissa in South Carolina commented:

Gorgeous! I love the Rockies in the Fall. Or any time. This is now my background photo, as so many of your pictures have been. (They're just in dry dock until I need them again for a big smile.) Thanks, Daniel!

Barbara Lamb commented:

Here in Ontario, despite a dry summer, the leaves are really spectacular.

Thanks for your comment, elizabeth. I had no idea Mao wrote poetry. What an education I get from the BPOTD

Nancy Shamanna commented:

That's a lovely photo from Jasper Park. Here in Calgary, although it has been too dry, we still got nice autumn colors. Now, however mostly blue sky and conifers. In Winnipeg last weekend, the autumn colors were good.

« Previous entry: Victoria amazonica | Main | Archives | Next entry: Caladenia longicauda »