Triteleia lilacina

Triteleia lilacina
Triteleia lilacina

Triteleia lilacina, commonly known as lilac prettyface, lilac-flowered wild hyacinth, or foothill triteleia, is endemic to "dry rocky outcrops, volcanic hills and mesas" of northern California. These photographs, taken two years ago minus a couple of days, were two of many taken that morning while I enjoyed an excellent wildflower display. The first image is full-frame, while the second is cropped significantly in order to show the tiny glass-like beads (hyaline vesicles) that line the inside of the flower. I don't think I noticed these when taking the photographs, so if I ever return to the area when these are in bloom, I'll be photographing them again. As long as it is a windless day, I would attempt both a supermacro shot of the vesicles, as well as a series of images taken at different focal points to be merged later in software.

Additional photographs are available via Calphotos (Triteleia lilacina, though images of the intriguing corms are lacking. Fortunately, these are available via the Theodore Payne Foundation wiki: the corms of Triteleia lilacina.

Cyndy Henderson commented:

Delicate beauty at its finest. Thank you Daniel!

Elizabeth commented:

Absolutely delighted by the loveliness of the closest shot~ it sparkles like a jewel. Thanks so much for sharing this Daniel!

Mary Beth Borchardt commented:

Very intriguing! Thank you for mentioning the glass-like beads--they are very noteworthy and quite a glamorous touch..

Connie Hoge commented:

What are the hyaline vesicles for? (I mean, aside from thrilling us with their beauty and giving photographers a worthy subject to concentrate on;)

natalie barringer commented:

What a beautiful flower,so feminine looking. The vesicles do look like gems,diamonds maybe. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Connie commented:

The blue pollen on the anthers is so beautiful.

the crown jewls of nature are all around us if we but look

thank you daniel fine close up one link led me to common names
a to z what great fun bonjour one and all

Eric Simpson commented:

Fortuitous timing. I'm trying to ID a flower that's clearly in the *old* Liliaceae, and likely in Asparagaceae, but after looking at thousands of pics in Calphotos, I was at a loss. Then seeing today's BPotD, I searched Calphotos for Triteleia, and while none seem a perfect fit, they are clearly in the ballpark. I know this really belongs in another part of the fora, but I wonder if someone could ID this for me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15627081@N08/4503472949/in/set-72157623808095432/ (and the preceding 4 pics). It was found in coastal SoCal, yards from a lagoon, but I'm beginning to think it may be non-native. Daniel, please let me know if you want me to move this to the ID forum.

« Previous entry: Antidesma bunius | Main | Archives | Next entry: Darlingtonia californica »