Acer palmatum var. dissectum [Dissectum Viride Group]

Acer palmatum var. dissectum [Dissectum Viride Group]

This image from last autumn (late October) was taken in the E.H. Lohbrunner Alpine Garden here at UBC. Since no cultivar name is specifically assigned for this plant, it suggests that it is either an unidentified cultivated variety or grown as a seedling (and therefore would not be the same as its parent, even if its parent was a named cultivar). The peculiar notation, "[Dissectum Viride Group]", adds some information, indicating that this plant belongs to a Group of dissected-leaf Japanese maples from cultivation.

Missouri Botanical Garden has a gardening factsheet available: Acer palmatum var. dissectum [Dissectum Viride Group].

I used a different piece of software for processing this photograph--a program that merges two (or more) photographs taken at different planes of focus. It looks like I'll have to play with some of the settings, as the photograph appears a bit too saturated.

Krystyna Szulecka commented:

That is stunning. Tell us more about your software.

Dahlia Balir commented:

This is gorgeous.

Just curious, I thought "Acer" is a maple.

Ann Kent HTM commented:

Over the years I have rescued several Acer palmatum var. dissectum just ahead of the big demolition machinery about to lay waste to another old house and garden, carefully hand-digging and removing each to a new location. One was 100 years old, as recorded in photographs of its East Vancouver location. Another mere 50 something tree with a lovely gnarly crown found a home in my garden. I like this shot and its saturation, Daniel, because it appears as a familiar point of view...lying on my back on a tarp and carefully pruning dead and diseased material from the heart of the tree...and yes, saw and clippers are disinfected between each cut. Gardeners have great perspectives! Ann Kent.

Jan commented:

Saturation is just fine with me- gorgeous

Mary Beth Borchardt commented:

Again, I am enjoying the bluish-purple color contrasting with the yellowish-orange. A beautiful combination.
As i just glanced out my windows, I am lucky enough to see a young Cooper's hawk on the back wood fence among the trees. He just flew down to the ground a ways off after something, showing his large wing spread.
I have fifteen Japanese maples of various types which I planted in my yard. They are among my favorites, along with a Chinese fringe tree and two large deodar cedars .

Sue Yenchko commented:

I have this same variety right at the street as it borders my property. When the color changes, it is a very vibrant yellow....your photo is not very far off. Each year the color has become more brilliant! It's stunning along the street.

My tree is 10 years old...bought from a local nursery. Would like to know how to thin it a bit. It has dense leaf pack.

phillip commented:

..90% of the time I can tell if a photo was taken by Daniel Mosquin without looking at the credits...your eye Daniel truly has the ability to capture..

Meg Bernstein commented:

It may be over saturated, but it's gorgeous. Go, saturation!

natalie barringer commented:

Beautiful picture,the angle of the shot is very interesting and of course the autumn colors are stunning. Altogether,a wonderful piece to share.

michael aman commented:

The perspective that my cat enjoys every day in her favorite hiding place....

Ron B commented:

North American trade sells grafted weeping green laceleaf clone(s) as 'Dissectum Viridis'. Maybe this is one of these.

Landscape companies here exhume unwanted veterans from old places and sell them for sometimes many thousands of dollars US. I think most of these I have seen were probably 'Dissectum Atropurpureum'. Often they are quite large.

Bonnie commented:

Very happy to note your attention to details like the saturation of colour, Daniel. So many photographs one sees in this digital age are heavily over-saturated, which to my eye is a sad case of over-kill. However, the framing of the image and thus the impression given of this charming tree is perfectly lovely.

Krystyna, Helicon Focus. I picked it up in late December when there was a discount, but I knew I was going to purchase it eventually so I attempted a few photographs with it in mind earlier in the year.

This flowering season, I suspect I'll be doing a bit more with the focus stacking technique and software when appropriate.

i think i would be on daniel's side this time-tis a fine photq

kathryn Arnett commented:

Love the colours -wine and saffron. Please leave it as it is .Ones eyes enjoy looking up from the base to the interior.

« Previous entry: Triplaris cumingiana | Main | Archives | Next entry: Quercus agrifolia »