Cucurbita moschata hybrid

Cucurbita moschata hybrid

Is this Cucurbita moschata 'Tromboncino' or Cucurbita moschata 'Trompo d'Albenga'? The more I researched the name, the more confused I became.

The seeds for this plant growing in the UBC Food Garden were purchased under the name 'Tromboncino' squash. My first search for more information led me to this plant review page on the Dave's Garden site, where 'Tromboncino' is listed as an alternate name for the preferred 'Trompo d'Albenga'. The Kokopelli Seed Foundation repeats this assertion in its photo gallery of squash cultivars. However, things start to get muddied in the Kemper Center for Home Gardening photo gallery of 100+ squash cultivars – the name 'Tromboncino' is used; perhaps they didn't research the name to verify it? Or perhaps they did: the Master Gardeners of Santa Clara County Online have a photo gallery of the squashes growing in McClellan Ranch in 2003, and 'Tromboncino' and 'Trompo d'Albenga' are distinguished as separate cultivars!

My final step for an easy answer was to consult whatever squash cultivar databases I could find online, and I came up empty. This comprehensive listing of squash cultivars excludes both names, unfortunately.

For general information on squashes, Purdue University's New Crop Guide has an extensive factsheet on cucurbits.

Michael F commented:

A nice one for the Humorous Vegetables column in the newspaper . . .

(you'll know what this means if you've read Terry Pratchett's The Truth :o)

What a gorgeous being to see in this time of ripening in the Northern Hemisphere! It is so good to journey into the beauty of other plants in other places, way yonder on the other edge of the continent. Thank you, Daniel!

Chris Taylor commented:

What color are the flowers? I have grown the 'true'
Trombocino for years from an Italian seed source, and the flowers are white. I grow them specifically to attract various nocturnal moth species, which in turn attract bats. I have also observed bats feeding on the nectar and pollen produced. The foliage is also different - less waxy & stiff - more pubescent and succulent, with a glaucus coloration

Katherine commented:

I live in Santa Clara County (quite the Mediterranean climate) and I grow a lot of Italian veggies from Italian seeds. I have found that the Italian seed companies are not all that fussy about names. Maybe they don't have as many hybrids, or trademarked names...

I used to grow Tromboncino, when I got the seeds from an American company. When I switched to an Italian source, it became Trompo d'Albenga, but certainly seemed like the same squash. Perhaps the Master Gardeners didn't research the squash either, but just assumed, having bought seeds under different names, that these were different varieties that are very similar.

My current favorite (it is very tasty, the seeds don't get too big, and it is not as prolific as a standard zucchini) is Lunga Bianco di Sicilia, which sometimes I find under that name. Other times, the seed packets simply say "Lunga Bianco" and other times "Bianco di Sicilia". If you didn't know any better, you might think "Lunga Bianco" and "Bianco di Sicilia" were different squashes.

It gets even more confusing when trying to buy seeds for Italian greens. The names seem to reflect the color and shape of the leaves, more than an actual hybrid name, and my seed source tells me that the photos on the front of the packets do not always match the seeds inside. But serendipity rules, and sometimes an accidental choice results in a new favorite!

Peter Roberts commented:

Albenga has its own horticultural website with a substantial section devoted to the zucca trombetta d'Albenga which they say is also known as tromboncino di Albenga, zucca trombetta, or zucca a tromba. I am trying to grow it in Wales, but it's been a miserable damp year.
See www.ortofrutticola.it/tesoridalbenga/4dalbenga/zuccatrombetta.pdf

Manuel Torre commented:

I bought a pack of seed of Trombetta d'Albenga out of mere curiosity because of the uncommon shape shown in the illustration. I sowed half a dozen seeds that germinated very well, and now I have a lot of fruit, and my doubt is if it is edible or not. If so, how can it be cooked?
Can anyone answer my doubt?

Lisa Wagner commented:

The fruits of Tromboncino are delicious, eaten however you'd prepare zucchini or summer squash, and I'm assuming that Trombetta d'Albenga is similar. The photo certainly resembles my Tromboncino, but differs in having a straight fruit, rather than the curved bulbous ones of Tromboncino.

I've been growing a C. moschata squash labeled summer mix, which basically looks like a bi-color spoon gourd, but is tasty when small. So I'm trying to track down what it actually is!

Peter Pavia commented:

How do I get fruits of trombetta di albenga and lagenaria lunda di sicilia to produce seeds. My first mature (I think)fruit is seedless. How long should I leave each variety on the vine?

« Previous entry: Carlina acaulis | Main | Archives | Next entry: Helianthus annuus hybrid »