Liriodendron tulipifera

Liriodendron tulipifera

Botany Photo of the Day will have brief written entries on weekends, holidays and my vacations from April through September. – Daniel

Thank you to arnaut from Alphen aan den Rijn, The Netherlands for today's photograph shared via this thread on the UBC forums.

Tulip tree is native to the hardwood forests of eastern North America. The Silvics of North America entry on Liriodendron tulipifera provides excellent information.

On a different note, BPotD and the garden web site will be down from 10pm tonight Vancouver time until 9am or so tomorrow morning. The building hosting the web server is undergoing more electrical upgrades, so the server will be shut down.

Botany resource link: More photographs from the recent Botany BC conference in Osoyoos, BC are now available on Ian Cumming's Photos of Hiking and Wildflowers. I've linked to Ian's page before, but considering the recent series of photos on BPotD from my trip to the conference, I thought I'd point out Ian's far more comprehensive pages for you to enjoy.

Ron B commented:

Painted Magnolias. Often described as flowering mostly near the top, apparently this is based on wild trees in the woods. I have seen more than a few cultivated specimens flowering all over the crown in open positions. Above photo probably wasn't taken from a canopy crane or cherry picker, either.

Aida commented:

A painted magnolia. I've seen an specimen like this one at Edwards Gardens in Toronto that had so many blooms, which were low enough that I could photograph them. It was an impressive sight. Thank you Daniel, because at the time I did not know what I was looking at ... until now.

bev commented:

How interesting; I live in the eastern U.S. and have grown up with this tree, but have never heard it referred to as painted magnolia. How apt!! Thanks for the education.

Beverley commented:

Liriodendron tulipifera - Z4 - RHS Index of Garden Plants, Griffiths
Liriodendron tulipifera - Z5-9 - A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants, Brickell, Cole, Zuk

Ron B commented:

Painted magnolia my own term, not in use by others (as far as I know).

maureen commented:

the blossoms remind me of a goblet for a fairy.

NiƱa commented:

I love this tree, however it really struggles in northern New England. I treat it as a shrub and am rewarded with a fabulous leaf even if it never blooms.

« Previous entry: Cirsium clokeyi | Main | Archives | Next entry: Tulipa 'Queen of Night' »