Plan Your Visit
Check the weather before you arrive at UBC’s Earth and Ocean Science Rooftop Weather Station.
Comfortable walking shoes are strongly encouraged as the majority of the garden features gravel or woodchip pathways.
Other than service dogs/animals, pets are not allowed in our garden. Please kindly leave your pets at home. There are no shades anywhere in our parking lot and it is way too dangerous to leave any pet in a car.
Much of UBC Botanical Garden is accessible by wheelchair and motorized cart for guests with accessibility and mobility challenges. However, due to the nature of our garden some pathways are irregularly graded and topped with woodchip, dirt or gravel. Please call our main garden gatehouse at 604-822-4208 for current path conditions and accessibility recommendations to meet your group’s needs.
The Garden does have one solo motorized scooter for individual use and two 6 passenger motorized electric visitor carts for group tours up to 5 or 10. Visit our Group Tours section for more information on visitor cart tours. Electric scooter and visitor carts are not always available. Please call our gatehouse to confirm availability for your visit.
There are two washrooms located at UBC Botanical Garden. One is near the entrance and the other is attached to the Garden Pavilion building. Visit our map page to download a map that shows washroom locations.
Please help us protect and maintain the Garden by observing the following:
- The Garden is a tobacco-free environment. Smoking and tobacco products are not allowed on Garden property, including all buildings, grounds, restrooms, and parking lots
- For their safety, please supervise children at all times
- No climbing, running, sports, or games
- Stay on pathways and mowed lawn areas. Do not walk in mulched or planted garden beds
- Please leave flowers and plants for everyone to enjoy. Do not collect or remove seeds, flowers, fruits, and vegetables, plant labels, etc.
- Do not wade or swim in ponds, streams, or fountains
- No pets. Service dogs/ animals are permitted
- Do not feed or handle the wildlife. It can be harmful to them - and you
- Please dispose of waste in recycle bins when appropriate. Please do not litter
- For safety, please keep your personal items with you at all times. The Garden cannot be held responsible for missing items. If you recover an item in the garden that does not belong to you, please turn it in to the gatekeeper for our lost & found
- Shirts and shoes are required at all times
- No outside alcohol or use of firearms
- You are welcome to take photos for your personal use. Commercial photography is prohibited without prior consent. Please visit the media and marketing section prior to contact for instructions and guidelines. All photography requests should be directed to our Marketing & Communications department. Email communication is preferred for all non-urgent requests.
Other attractions nearby/things to do at UBC
With its location on the tip of Point Grey at the University of British Columbia, UBC Botanical Garden is close to many of Vancouver's other stellar attractions. UBC's world-famous Museum of Anthropology is only minutes away and directly across the street from the Nitobe Memorial Garden. The newest attraction on campus, the Beaty Biodiversity Museum is within walking distance. Downtown Vancouver, Vancouver International Airport (YVR), VanDusen Botanical Garden, Dr. Sun Yat-sen Classical Chinese Garden and Granville Island are all less than a half hour away by car.