Indoor Gardening

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by FieryIce, Sep 13, 2005.

1. FieryIce

FieryIce Member

Growing tomatoes indoors over the winter on Vancouver Island, what would be the suggested lighting taking into consideration a small budget?
    Growing hints are helpful also.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Check with the nearest hydroponics store. They are very current with this technology and the various alternatives. "Justin Thyme" in Courtenay is but one.

Ralph

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

FieryIce, I think Ralph's advice is best, consult a hydroponics store. There must be plenty on the island. You will need a strong light timed for long days to get fruit from a tomato indoors. I use a new type of flourescent grow light to keep my tender potted plants over the winter. I grow about a metre square, so things are really crouded. The fixture was a few hundred dollars to set up. I am sure you can grow tomatoes but it will take a lot of light and space. Perhaps you could grow some herbs if you are wanting an overwinter fresh food experience. You kind of get more bang for the lumens out of herbs I think.

4. FieryIce

FieryIce Member

Thank you, I will consider searching out a hydroponics store.