FIG (edible) TREES

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by gcmccubbin, Sep 11, 2005.

1. gcmccubbin

gcmccubbin Member

We have a large (18' high...quite large around) FIG tree, which is planted beside the house, and sheltered on two sides. It has house on its south and west sides. Since we added onto the house (the west side of the tree) the tree seems much healthier, and has a huge crop of figs this year. So far I don't see any even close to ripe. I've been doing a lot of research on the net about home fig trees, how to dry, etc. How do I tell what kind of tree I have? My parents planted the tree at least 15-20 years ago, and never did anything to it. We know have a set of stairs that end up in the bottom of the tree. The whole thing is big and heavy and droopy..any idea on how to tame the thing, without damaging it? Would we be best just to move the gate/fence so the tree is not in our way anymore?
    Once we have frost (October??) are any figs still on the tree garbage, or can they still be harvested?

thanks..
    Christine

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Christine--if I understand, the tree is facing north and east, that's where the light is coming from?

If so, I think you'll be frustrated waiting for ripe fruit. The figs here need all the sun and heat they can get.

I've never gotten any decent fruit once the frost has hit, tho that means some years they can continue to ripen into Nov.

Glen

3. gcmccubbin

gcmccubbin Member

Yes, the light is coming from east and north, with house on the other two sides. Before the addition my parents often got goodly amounts of ripe figs. How do I know when the figs are ripe? I've read that you need to wait til they drop off the tree, and also to pick when they are soft...??

Christine

4. bridgetlamp

bridgetlamp Member

I believe I have a Violette fig with purple skin and white flesh. I read that dabbing the ends of the fig with olive oil helps with ripening. I tried it this year and my figs are further along this fall than they have been in the last two years since I've had this tree.

You may not be getting enough light and/or heat. My tree gets southwest exposure which helps in our short growing season in Seattle.

Good luck! I was able to harvest 1.5 figs before the starlings invaded...

5. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Figs are ripe when soft and hanging from the branch not 'erect'. With the loss of western exposure I too wonder if the tree is getting enough sun.

6. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

It is my understanding that figs in our part of the world very rarely ripen their second crop. I have hundreds of half grown fruit which, if the past years are anything to go by, will never ripen. It is very frustrating as I love figs. If you search the fruit/fig forum there is quite a discussion on this. At least they don't attract the bears!!! Margaret

7. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I've never had the 2nd crop ripen either. But this year I was excited to find a golden with black butterfly feeding on the overripe fruit that was out of my reach. I also had lots of hornets(?)