Please Help in Identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Swampwoman, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Swampwoman

Swampwoman Member

I hope that someone can help me to identify this plant. I walked out on my porch last week and found this flower in my camelia bush. At first, I thought it was a plastic flower that someone put there as a joke, but when I picked it up to look at it, I realized that it was attached to a vine. The vine is reddish-purple in color with two leaves directly across from each other, spaced about 4-6 inches from the next set of leaves. I'll take a picture of the vine if you need to see it, too. The flower is very pretty - a perfect star within a star flower, with multiple flowers coming from one stem, similar to a dandylion. I have not seen another flower on the vine. (To get an idea of the size, please note that the flower is in a small juice glass.)

I appreciate any help that you can give to me. I've been trying to research on the web with no luck.

Thanks!

Swampwoman

Attached Files:

2. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Last post did not seem to come up on web page so here goes again. Looks like hoya. The plants which I grow indoors have a beautiful perfume particularly in the evenings.

3. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

oh next time u get a flower head like that dont pick it off .. and dont take the rest of the vine off that it came on .. or it will take forever to bloom from there again ..it is a Hoya .. and they produce one of the most beautifull flowers around for houseplants .. you are so lucky to get a flower .. i have been waiting for mine to bloom ...lol.
    good luck with it .

Marn

5. Swampwoman

Swampwoman Member

Thank you Margaret for the initial response! I appreciate your help!

Swampwoman

6. Swampwoman

Swampwoman Member

Thank you Harry for your reply also. I learned a lot about Hoyas when I went to that Hoya information page.

Swampwoman

7. Swampwoman

Swampwoman Member

Thanks Marn! I'm sorry your plant hasn't bloomed yet! I guess it's all the great heat and 100 percent humidity here in the New Orleans area! I'd trade you for a few weeks! lol Good luck with your plant! One more thing. You refer to it as a houseplant. I found it in my yard as a vine, at least twenty feet long! What's the best way to deal with it? I almost pulled it out of the ground because I thought it was a weed! Any suggestions?

Swampwoman

8. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

I learned a lot on that page too. Wish I had such good looking weeds growing in my yard. :) Might try to get a start for a house plant as I'm sure they wouldn't winter over here this far north.

Harry

9. LOL. Trust me, that's one of the better looking weeds! I don't have to worry much about it freezing here in New Orleans, but I might take your advice and turn at least a little bit of it into a houseplant. Thanks again for all the help!

Swampwoman