Can you identify my plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by gina, Sep 5, 2003.

1. gina

gina Member

I've been trying for 6 months to identify this plant. I have a young one that is about 2 feet tall. One of its interesting characteristics is the copious amounts of white milky fluid that pours forth of any wound even if one merely plucks off a leaf. Similar to jalapeno juice, it burns sensitive skin. It has stiff, thick leaves which are usually 6 inches long and 3 inches wide. I've added a photo of one I came upon in the SanDiego Zoo's arid region. This specimen was aprox. 4 1/2 feet tall. I would very much appreciate any help in naming it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2003
  2. RottnK9

RottnK9 Member

Hmmm... maybe some type of Euphorbia???? Just a wild guess.

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

The plant is a Synadenium, a common indoor plant (or outdoor, in the tropics and subtropics) sometimes called African milk bush. The species has a somewhat confused taxonomy -- most books list this red leafed cultivar as Synadenium grantii 'Rubra', but it is probably more correctly known as S. compactum 'Ruby'. Whichever, it is noted for its caustic, poisonous sap, and care should be taken when handling it. This link to Desert Tropicals, shows a closeup.

4. gina

gina Member

Ahh, you're fabulous Douglas. Thanks SO much!

5. I was given a plant and I have no idea what it is, and I would like to know so I can purchse another one, can you help me? It is a house plant that likes lot's of light, and grows tword the light. It is low maintainance, and doesn't need to be watered very often. It's stems or vines, or whatever you want to call them are an ivory color and are very stringy and limp like. The "petals" are purple and there are three to a stem. Each individual petal looks like a moth sitting still, and they are purple. I have been told that this is a shamrock plant. Do you know what it is?

I can be e-mailed at tera@bedardfirst.com

Thank you for your time.

Tera