Can this mature maple tree be saved? Or should we cut it?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sxybeemr, May 23, 2015.

1. sxybeemr

sxybeemr New Member

Hello,

We purchased an older home 3 years ago with 2 mature maple trees in the backyard. The nice looking maple unfortunately had to be cut down due to it's location. The other maple tree that we wanted to keep is in very bad shape and we have no clue what to do with it or if the tree can even be saved at this point? At first, we thought that the tree looked in bad shape since the branches of the healthy maple tree(the one that had to be cut down) was growing into this one... But I think the problem is something else now that we cut the other maple tree....

In all honesty, my boyfriend is not a tree guy and knows nothing about plants. I have been searching online and I think the tree may have verticillium wilt? Some branches have no leaves on it. Some have a few leaves but look like smaller size leaves.... It produced tons of seeds(helicopters) but the tree looks so bare..... We have never seen this tree healthy. It's been like it since we purchased the home so I am assuming it's been in bad shape for a while...

We have a third maple tree on our front yard which looks great. My neighbor in the back has a large red maple in her backyard which looks amazing.... The maple tree that had to be cut down looked great. If it was verticillium, would all the maple trees around us be affected?

I have also attached some photos of the tree in hopes that someone may be able to help? I look forward to your responses as I'd love to give this tree a second chance if there is anything we can do to try and save it... Thank you in advance for reading this post.

Attached Files: