Final thread regarding unkown plants on boulder in Langford

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Renew, May 5, 2015.

1. Renew

Renew Active Member 10 Years

These are the last plants which I would like identified, some ferns, and the one plant not growing on the boulder a large shrub which I don't know. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Susan G

Susan G Active Member 10 Years

the fern looks like a Polypodium. glycyrrhiza?

3. Renew

Yes it could be that, there are a few native plants in the area, the mossy rock situation matches the conditions that fern likes and it's stacking on itself looks like the wikipedia entry, and google image search.

4. Renew

I am very sorry the images are not upright as they should have been. I spent some time trying to see them on my computer as they would show up on your website as I was loading them, and it seemed what I saw on my computer was what was being uploaded, ie. correct orientation. Anyhow regarding the shrub, it is about 5' tall and evidently going to grow a lot larger by the new growth showing; about 5' wide. It is conical in shape, and heavily leaved, no stems or trunk are visible. The leaves go to the bottom of the plant. Over the part year that we have seen it growing it has not produced obvious flowers, scent, fall colour or anything else interesting....

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have no answers regarding your plant, but I have started a new thread about photo orientation (for which I also do not have the answer): How DO you be sure of the correct photo orientation? .

If you want to comment about photo orientation, please do it in that thread.

6. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I agree - Polypodium glycyrrhiza aka licorice fern likes to grow in moss as single fronds but the root "travels" through the moss and many fronds can sprout from the one branched root.
    FYI, licorice fern roots are edible, hence the name; very sweet/spicy when fresh and they get stronger when dried (I used to put diced pieces in salad or just chewed on the root).

http://www.npsbc.ca/pdf/Polypodium_glycyrrhiza.pdf