Tree alive, but no buds yet

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Apr 17, 2015.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I'm really starting to get worried about my Usugumo. By this time last year, it was leafing out, and we were cooler, temps-wise, than what we've been so far this spring. When I scratch the bark - bottom, mid-way up, etc - it is green underneath, but I'm not seeing any evidence of budding yet. Normally I keep this one in more shade, but I've been keeping it in the sun in hopes of warming it up and kicking it into gear. Everything else is either fully leafed out, or well on its way.

Any thoughts as to what's going on?

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That white-ish colour to the bark does not look healthy to me, I am surprised that it is green underneath.

3. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Do you recall seeing any buds on it over the winter or earlier this spring? Birds tend to nip the buds right off some of my trees, whether it be over the winter or early spring when the buds start to swell. (this despite keeping the bird feeders filled with black sunflower seeds all winter, go figure!) What was left was an empty "socket", where the bud had been. In any case, I've had to wait until the secondary buds develop, which generally puts the tree a month behind all of the others.

I've discovered that tying strands of metallic crinkle-tie ribbon on a couple limbs per tree has helped against further damage this year. I'm SO glad that I read about this trick when I did.

Andrea, did you repot this tree along with the others this spring? Does one of your dogs tend to pee on this one pot time after time?

Kevin in KC

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The bark on pictum tends to be whitish when the tree is small, looks OK in as far as I can tell in a picture.

I have 3 usugumos, one in ground, and the all leaf out at different times. The smallest of the pots is currently the most advanced, but is well behind most palmatums. The larger pot and the one in the ground -- which has never gained much height -- have some bud swelling but haven't burst in spite of the very hot weather we've been having. A. pictum 'Hoshi yadori' has no bud swelling at all.

When you say 'no budding' do you mean 'no bud swelling' or there are no buds at all? If they're not swelling yet it could just be year-to-year variation, say a tree from elsewhere acclimatising to your colder area. If there are no buds at all, I'd also blame birds and wait for emergency buds to emerge in a few weeks.

HTH!

5. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Emery, there are a few buds, but they are tiny, and I think they look a little brown and almost dried. Other than that, no buds. If there were buds, even tiny ones that looked healthy, I wouldn't worry - my Murakumo stayed at the teeny-tiny bud stage for a few weeks before finally plumping - but it's the lack of budding has me concerned.

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Andrea, that doesn't sound great. The buds should be red. And usugumo does die back quite a bit... sounds as though all you can do is wait-and-see...