Japanese Maple did not leaf out

Discussion in 'Maples' started by MikeL, Nov 29, 2014.

1. MikeL

MikeL Member

I have a green Japanese maple in a large pot, which did not leaf out last spring. The buds are black and the branches are mostly brittle. However, during the summer many twigs started growing out from the base of the trunks.
    1) Are the upper branches dead? Should I wait and hope for them to come back to life in the spring?
    2) if they are indeed dead, should I train one of the twigs at the base of trunk to become the new leader? Should I then cut down the original trunk above the new leader?
    3) I'm now protecting my other potted Japanese maple by moving it to the garage on the few days we have frost here in Vancouver. Is that a good idea?

Thanks

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Can you post any pictures of the tree, showing both the full tree, and close-ups of the upper branches (which, as you surmised, are most likely dead), and then of the trunk where the new branches are sprouting? I can't be certain without seeing the latter pictures, but my guess is that the new sprouts are from below the graft union in which case while they will still be Japanese maple, they will not be of the cultivar you purchased. If you're fine with this - and many of the 'general' Japanese maples produce lovely foliage - and this is where we get new cultivars from :) - then by all means, train the new branches as you see fit and cut off the dead portions. But, before cutting too low on the trunk, I would allow the new leader/branches to grow a year or two first.

As for your third question, yes that would work fine (moving into the garage). Or, you could double-pot your other potted maples (not sure how big the pots/trees are), and fill the gap between the two pots with mulch, and mulch well on top. Moving to a slightly sheltered area in the yard would be beneficial too.

3. MikeL

MikeL Member

I've attached 3 photos of my tree.

Attached Files:

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That is definitely the root stock that has sprouted after the grafted part died. If you look closely you will see that the bark changes color an inch or two above the soil line; this is the transition point between the root stock and the cultivar that was grafted onto it. It is safe to cut off the tree at this point.

If you like the color and shape of the leaves that were produced this year by all means keep it. If not, bin it and buy a new one next year. If you keep it the new sprouts will need thinning out next spring for best results. If you live in an area subject to heavy snow or ice storms in winter only keep one leader, if you live in an area without those problems it is safe to grow a multitrunked tree, but I would still only keep two or three of the sprouts. Choose the one or ones that look largest and healthiest in spring, probably best not to do it now.

5. MikeL

MikeL Member

Thanks for clarifying!

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

No problem. You really have nothing to lose, apart from your time, by rolling the dice on this one. If it grows into something you like then great, if not then not.