raised beds

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Margaret, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Is it advisable to make raised vegetable beds with untreated red cedar? I have heard that pressure treated wood can leech chemicals into the ground and wonder if those in cedar are poisonous too. Would anyone know what is best, even if it is advisable, to place in the base of the beds to stop all of the "good stuff" being washed away in winter?

2. llarson

llarson Member

I just raised cedar beds going this year. I stained the outside only for protection again the elements (salt spray...I'm on the sunshine coast too), lined the inside (sides only) with plastic, and the bottom with a thick layer of newspaper as a weed barrier/moisture conserver. I can't believe the difference raised beds are making...we've been eating zukes for weeks now and little green tomatoes are everywhere.

3. Margaret

Thanks. I like the idea of newspapers on the base as this might also slow down the amount of soil which is washed out each year during the winter. I buy and my plants use the compost etc each summer, it is then washed down the hill where I am sure it enriches my neighbour's soil, leaving us with sand! Perhaps I should also plant winter ground cover?

4. Lance

Lance Member

Perhaps ya might forget the cover crop and simply fill the beds with kale...double bonus of having a nutrient dense foodstuff which can be mulched later when your sick of it! Seems to work for us!

5. Margaret

Thanks for the suggestion. Any ideas of how to stop the "errosion" of Pan Pacific?!

6. lariet

lariet Member

Would you mind sharing information with me as to what soil/manure medium you used in your raised beds? I too have built 3 new beds, but am uncertain where I can find a good growing medium in my area of the West Kootenays. I would prefer organic, if possible.

Thanks,
    Lariet