Can't make a descision and need your help

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Apr 26, 2014.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I need your help deciding on a replacement for a tree we lost over winter. We are considering:

Acer palmatum beni tsukasa 12' tall in a 45 gallon container

Acer palmatum sekka yatsubusa 10' tall in a 45 gallon container

Acer palmatum Shindeshojo 7' tall in a 25 gallon container

Its going to be planted in a spot that is the focal point as you walk the path into our backyard, then as you pass this tree the path turns to reveal the patio. Once on the patio this tree is the focal point (or center of your view) of the back yard. So its a very important spot that needs a really great tree.

Of the three, which do you find has the most appeal in your garden. Of course, if you think of another tree that has great seasonal appeal, upright, and great character, then please feel free to share. This nursery has hundreds of varieties that are specimen size, so there is a chance they have it.

I hope this week they will have the trees out from under plastic, so I can post some pictures.

Thanks so much for your help and recommendations!

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A twelve foot 'Beni tsukasa' would be hard to beat for a focal point. Probably more interesting over the whole season than 'Shindeshojo', although 'Shindeshojo' might have more pop in the spring. Also it is a bigger plant to start with, seven feet is not going to have the same impact as twelve feet. I've never grown 'Sekka yatsubusa' so cannot really comment on that one.

A word of warning, 'Beni tsukasa' is variegated and can burn in full afternoon sun if it is not 100% happy in the root department. What is the sun exposure in this part of your garden? I am guessing from the description that it might be full sun; if so check with the grower whether this cultivar can handle full sun in your climate.

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for the great feedback and recommendations MAF!

Regarding the warning of sun exposure. The roots will be shaded, so that will help some. Most of the tree would get morning sun with some early afternoon sun. The top 1/4 would see more afternoon sun. Hopefully this is not too much sun. The tree is going on the East side of our house, so the house shades most of the tree from afternoon sun.

One thing that may be working in my favor is the tree is not shaded at the nursery, although it originally came from Oregon, its been growing in our climate for many years (they buy most of their stuff as 10 gallon and grow it out until it sells; since its now a 45 gallon, this tells me its been here for a while and is adjusted to our sun).

4. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

For me it would be 'Beni tsukasa. 12-0 is some specimen.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I'd like the 'beni tsukasa' also, but the main question is I would think: what's around it? Beni tsukasa is likely to be relatively "loud" all summer; if you're looking for something to draw the eye, it would be great (it's a fab tree). But if you want a restful background for the canvas, maybe something more neutral in summer would be better? I don't mean to overstate this case, just that mine, in pretty much sun, stays quite pink. In any case, I don't care that much for shin deshojo as a central feature, it's fairly drab in fall and autumn and even in spring very sensitive to too much rain which can darken the bright young leaves unless drainage is perfect.

6. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

You could probably pick up a similar Shin Deshojo anytime.....even I can!.....as for the other two.....rather you than me....either way I'll be turning green :D

7. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

If you dont mind me asking how much would that 12 foot cost?
    Pat

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you everyone for all the great feedback its a huge help!

Emery, thanks for the detailed information on shin deshojo. It was a sixth sense that made me feel like it could be all show in Spring and then so-so for the rest of the season. You certainly validated that inner voice. There is nothing worse than realizing that inner voice was right, after the fact.

W are looking for that eye catching tree to stand out in front of some muted and supporting trees on either side, sekimori and goshiki shidare. Based on all the feedback it seems beni tsukasa is a clear winner.

The sekka yatsubusa is a unusual tree with a lot of character. I convinced my wife, that if it went in the front yard, it would make a nice screen hiding the house across the street that has been a five year painting project (the house looks like it has a bad rash with bloches of contrasting colored primer all over the front). She is on board, so no real decision needs to be made, other than the obvious choice to rule out the Shindeshojo.

Pat, I don't mind you asking the cost, but the tree I'm buying is not a fair market value. For example, another nursery that specializes in specimen trees (with a very small selection in comparison) sells specimen Japanese maples this size for $995 to $1450. The trees I'm buying are actually a really great deal, costing the same as a 10 gallon tree would sell for at other nurseries and garden centers in the area. A big part of this great deal is that I have formed a good relationship with them over the past two years, combined with their need to make space and they don't want to have to re-pot the tree in another couple of years. I guess when you get into 45 gallon containers and larger, its pretty expensive to pot them up into a larger size.

All of their 45 gallon Japanese maples are under $500.00

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  9. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

If you send me a private message with a fax number, I could fax you their maple list (with pricing) if your serious about making the trip.

10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

We finally made a decision, thanks to everyone's input.

We decided on the #45 Beni Tsukasa, its the first picture below. Very little is leafed out since our Winter will not quit. It kind of gets lost in the trees behind it.

We also are adding the #15 Summer Gold 6'. Its starting to leaf out in the second picture.

The Sekka yatsubusa had a few liabilities and I just was not comfortable taking them on, so we decided with a very healthy # 25 Ibo Nishiki. Its in the third picture. The bark is very similar to arakawa and the multi-stems will be a good feature for where the tree is going in the landscape.

The fourth picture is just a small sample of their maples and the 5th is a Kurui Jishi that we came very close to getting, but decided on the Ibo Nishiki instead (tough choice). It kills me that I did not discover this place sooner. My yard was full when I discovered them and I think about all the money I could have saved and all the amazing trees that could have made up my collection, if I just started here first.

We also added a very cool Pinus aristata 'blue heron' and Abies concolor 'Winter Gold'.

Attached Files:

11. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

JT1 Loving your selections, think #3 looks amazing Ibo Nishiki fantastic bark you will have to post pics when you have them all in situ and all leafed up. All the best with these.

12. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Unfortunately I don't know such a nursery with large specimen in South-west of France.
    As you said: "It kills me" too.

Just for fun, have a look as they do in Japan ...

Attached Files:

13. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I love your pictures from Japan! Thanks for the beautiful escape :-)