December 19, 2013 - a few to amuse us

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by wcutler, Dec 21, 2013.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here is Eurya japonica with flower buds. I didn't think we could tell if these tiny flowers had opened yet, but now that I read the POTD postings (Feb 8, 2006 and March 15, 2013), it should have been easy to tell from the smell - entirely absent in the cold of winter, and these just buds. Daniel Mosquin has a habit photo from ten years ago in the Photographs forum. This is not the same individual, so I'm keen to see if it's a male plant (and maybe not as malodorous even in bloom). This is now in the Pentaphylacaceae family, which eFloras says are bisexual, but these are dioecious. I was excited to see that it's cauliflorous (having flowers growing directly from the woody branch).
    20131219_UBCBG_EuryaJaponica_Cutler_P1610887ps.jpg

I've never noticed the seed heads of anemones and was quite taken with this one - Anemone hupehensis.
    20131219_UBCBG_AnemoneHupehensis_Cutler_P1610862ps2.jpg

The cones on this Cephalotaxus sinensis will get quite a bit larger than this. Nice bark.
    20131219_UBCBG_CephalotaxusSinensis_Cutler_P1610868ps.jpg 20131219_UBCBG_CephalotaxusSinensis_Cutler_P1610872ps.jpg

[Edited]Not many people have read this yet, so I'll add in a photo from the day before - Meliosma pinnata var. oldhamii. The light and the rainbow were more exciting than I was able to capture.
    20131218_UBCBG_MeliosmaPinnataAndRainbow_Cutler_P1610833.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

I was excited that day about Polyspora axillaris, it has several buds so we are looking forward to see camellia flowers

Attached Files:

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cauliflorus means blooming on the trunk rather than the branches.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

OK, thanks. I thought I saw the term used for this plant, and I saw several definitions that indicated that it applied where flowers formed on woody branches, not just the main trunk. I got over-excited.

5. Ron B

Better go get some cauliflower at the market.

6. Ron B

I see via your link that eFloras is also using the 1849 name Pentaphylax euryioides - without including Eurya japonica in the list of synonyms on the full species account page.