Pics of the new additions to my maple collection

Discussion in 'Maples' started by rufretic, May 23, 2013.

1. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Just thought I'd share some pics, I always enjoy looking at the pic threads but havn't seen many this spring. Anyway, here are some of my additions.

Autumn moon, I already had two but one didn't make it and I just couldn't take my eyes off the color of this one. Plus it's much larger.

Attached Files:

2. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Shin Deshojo, I was very excited to be getting this one but I'm a little dissapointed. The color just doesn't stand out to me but I guess I already missed the early spring when it really shines. I do like the shape though so I'll just have to wait till next spring to see how much I actually like it.

Attached Files:

3. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Jordan, I like everything about this one so far.

Attached Files:

4. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Ed Woods, I just loved the shape of this tree when I saw it and I've been wanting another large leaf cultivar so I had to have it. The leaf shape is great too but I forgot to get a pic of it.

Attached Files:

5. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Bonfire, I didn't know anything about this cultivar when I ordered it, it was just too good a deal to pass up on a 15 gal. After ordering I found that it's not that easy to get a good description on it. I guess there is a lot of variation or actually different trees with this name. I could see why when I picked mine out of about 15, I would of thought there where at least 3 different cultivars among them. Some where red, some green, different size and shape leaves lol. I just picked the one that looked the healthiest and I'm just going to hope I like it.

Attached Files:

6. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

2 Olsens Frosted Strawberry, I'm not sure what I think of these yet. On close inspection, the leaves are awesome but from a distance they don't look like anything special. The growth habit is different than what I was expecting but it worked out well for the spot I had planned for them. I'll need to observe them more to decide how much I like them.

Attached Files:

7. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Last one for this spring, Aureum, I know I'll love this one if I can keep it happy.

Attached Files:

8. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Here are a few favorites this spring that I got in the fall.

Sister ghost, great reticulation.
    Moon rise, I love the contrast of the new growth.
    Vitifolium, HUGE leaves!

Attached Files:

9. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Where did you get your trees? They're so big!!! Thanks for sharing the pics. My Jordan and Ed Woods #2 are much smaller than yours, but I like them a lot, too. One day.... <g>

Here are three of my new babies: Orangeola, Tsumagaki & Shishigashira:

Kevin in KC

Attached Files:

10. Samara

Samara Active Member Maple Society

I was in the same position a year ago, having just added a Shin Deshojo to my garden. I guarantee you'll be delighted with it next spring when it leafs out. The color is spectacular.

Here are photos of my Shin Deshojo taken this spring:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  11. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I got them from Davidsans. I got lucky with my Orangeola, I found it at Menards. Good size tree for cheap. I also have a couple Tsuma Gaki for the first time this spring. Mine are both smaller than yours. They look very cool! One has way larger leaves than the other. I'm not sure why, I got them from the same grower on ebay. The one with the larger leaves is in almost full shade. I've been wanting Shishigashira for a while now. Looks like you got a nice one.
    Here's my Orangeola and the two Tsuma Gaki showing the leaf sizes.

Attached Files:

12. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Sounds good, your giving me hope. Thanks!

13. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Nice maples, thanks for showing the pictures. I agree with the comment about 'Shindeshojo'; wait till next spring and it will be a highlight of the garden, yours seems to be in late spring/early summer mode right now.

As for the larger leafed 'Tsuma gaki', it looks more like a form of 'Tsuma beni' in the photos, with the caveat that it is hard to make a definitive ID from a photo. I base this on the nail coloration (more tending towards purple red rather than persimmon red), the main leaf coloration (green rather than yellowish green), the number of lobes (mainly seven rather than mainly five) and the fact that the emergent leaves do not seem to be hanging downwards in the typical 'Tsuma gaki' way. If you really want to compare the two plants, situate them close together for observation next spring; if only one is 'Tsuma gaki' the difference will be most apparent at time of leafout.

14. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Interesting thought, could be. I also have a larger Tsuma beni that looked amazing last year in the spring, not even close to the same look as either of the two Tsuma Gaki I posted. It had way more of the red coloring almost half the leaf I would say and more of a fade into the green. I loved it when I saw it, that's why I bought it but for some reason this year it leafed out all green. I was pretty dissapointed and have no idea why it would do that. It seemed very happy all year and leafed out nice and healthy but no red. Now I have to wait a whole year to see what it does. I like that all three are different, it will be fun to observe them.

15. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice trees, everyone! I like all those cultivars.

This is the first year I didn't buy any new maples (I did get some Ginkgo and other conifers, tho). I think I still have about 150 cultivars sitting in pots from previous years, so I backed off (this is a miracle from an obsessive-compulsive Maple addict!!). Instead, I'm focusing on getting things in the ground or at least up-potted properly. Of course, the fall is always a good time to buy trees... :)

16. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Very nice!

17. Samara

Samara Active Member Maple Society

The pictures don't really capture the amazing color of Shin Deshojo, but they give you an idea of what's in store for you next spring.

18. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Yeah, once you get addicted to them it's hard to stop. 4 years ago I got my first one, a bloodgood from home depot. Then the next year 5 or so then 10 then about 20 and I'm pretty sure I'm over 50 for this year. I'm hoping I can get control next year, I'm running out of places to plant them. The newest are a Burgundy lace and a Virdis. I just bought the Burgundy lace at home depot because I've never seen one before, small but looks real nice. The Virdis I see all the time but this one at menards just caught my eye, it just has such a nice form. I'll also be getting a 3 gal Amagi Shigure in the mail on Saturday. One other new one I forgot to post pics of from the same trip to Davidsans is Utsu Semi. The trees form is nice but it's in pretty bad shape. It was the only large one they had and I made the mistake of buying it because I wanted a Utsu Semi so bad even though it looked like it was not doing too great. Plus it got a little unwrapped on the 3 hour drive home and the wind beat it up even more, poor thing lol. Now I'm just hoping I can save it. Anyway, I'll try to post pics of all these as soon as I get a chance.

19. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Color looks nice to me, just not as pink as some pictures I've seen.

20. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I had a bonfire. It was one of my favorite trees in Spring. But who knows if mine was a true Bonfire. Based on the Spring color it sure glowed like a bonfire. Here are some pictures of my Bonfire in Spring and Summer color:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=65934757@N06&q=bonfire

I don't think I have any fall pictures because it never really did much in fall. The other liability of my tree was that aphids loved it. Every Spring it was loaded with aphids. But if I had a chance to get another one, I definitely would.

Very nice trees everyone!

I started collecting Ginkgo about six years ago. My wife always liked them, but I thought a Ginkgo would be too big for our yard. Then we found 'Jade Butterflies' and discovered there is a whole world of dwarf varieties. Two years ago we picked up 'mariken' and I turned it into a bonsai. Last summer we bought a 'weeping wonder' and planted it in the landscape. This Spring we acquired 'Troll', but I am not sure what direction to go: pot, bonsai, or landscape.

My maple addiction lead to an addiction in conifers too. They both complement each other year round and like maples, there are so many varieties of conifers with great colors and textures.

21. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Here are a few pictures of my new Amagi Shigure.

Attached Files:

22. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Well my Amagi Shigure looks like a whole different tree in its new spot, must be getting more sun than what it was at the nursery. A few others have changed since my original post as well, Autumn Moon and Tsuma Gaki specificly have spectacular color right now. I'm just hoping it's not because they are stressed from all the rain and cooler weather. Here is what the Amagi Shigure looks like now.

Attached Files:

23. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

This is the same Tsuma Gaki I posted earlier with the smaller leaves, the other one in full shade is almost completely green now.

Attached Files:

24. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Here is what the color on Autumn Moon looks like, I've never seen one with color like this.

Attached Files:

25. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is our new rock garden

Attached Files: