Sambucus pruning for crop production

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Tracie, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Tracie

Tracie Member

I've read that a person can copice sambucus in winter and still have a fruit production but I can't confirm that info for our location (Abbotsford) My client is dependant on the crop of berries produced. I would appreciate some input from other experiences to keep the crop sustainable and growing. Thanks Tracie

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

If you prune right directly after your first harvest, you should be able to get a second one in the winter period. Sambucus flowers on new growth, so it would seem to me that the key to keeping it productive would be to make sure you've got as much new growth as possible. I can't speak for the northern species (which may require chill hours - I'm not certain), but with S. peruviana a good haircut after each harvest will keep it flowering and fruiting year-round.

3. Tracie

Tracie Member

so if they were harvested in oct. prune in Nov? are you talking about coppicing? or can I get away with pruning in jan/feb to take advantage of growth spurts and still achieve crop?

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'm not talking about coppicing at all, although Sambucus does respond well to it (but your plantation has to be really well established in order for it to work in terms of production - it wouldn't up your returns in a season, more like 3-4 years). I'm more talking about, harvest in October, prune the tree in October, as soon as all of the berries are off.

I'll repeat, though, that I have absolutely ZERO experience with the northern species of Sambucus, so I can't tell you with any certainty whether pruning in January will get you another crop. The trees I work with will literally flower every week if I keep them trimmed, and I've got continuous production with them - it's one of the advantages of living in a valley where it's always springtime weather.

However, logic would tell me that if you prune a bit before the period of growth spurts, you should get extra new growth, and therefore be assured of a crop.