Identification: Help with Cactus Identification

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by whbecker, Nov 27, 2012.

1. whbecker

whbecker Member

This cactus belongs to a close friend. She received it as a gift from a neighbor and it seemed perfectly ordinary until mid-November when it developed two spectacular blooms. The blooms appear on short downward stalks. (The bloom "in the pot" broke off and is placed in the pot for the photo.)

I would very much like to find one of these! Can anyone identify it?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not a cactus, but some type of Stapeliad. I don't know enough to say which. I think many of these are very easy to propagate. If your friend is willing to part with a small section, allow the broken part to dry for a day and then stick is gently into some moist cactus soil and it may very likely root.

If you like this one, you can see in the link that there are many types with beautiful flowers. But be aware, some of the flowers stink of rotting flesh--most unpleasant. I have one in my office and when it blooms, it goes outside.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Stapelia gigantea - perhaps the one most asked about - or similar species.

4. whbecker

whbecker Member

Many thanks for your replies. Stapelia gigantea seems to be a good match. The only difference I note is the paucity of white hairs on the edges of the corolla segments and, thankfully, the absence of any strong odor.

5. Insectivore

Insectivore Active Member

Also, if the other flower remains attached till it dies - it will then fall off, but if you friend leaves the bud, it could have seeds. But it would be a really long time, like ten months - almost a year. If, when it falls off, it has no little bud like thing, it probably won't produce any seeds. :D That's a long time to wait though.
    Good luck.