Identification: Potted plant dropped at my door, please help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kiara2425, Oct 31, 2012.

1. kiara2425

kiara2425 Member

Hi there,

I have been searching around since yesterday when a plant was dropped off at our door with no memo or anything to figure out what kind of plant this is. Since its now cool outside, I really need to know what kind of plant it is, and how to take care of it. It may be a plant, but I cant just let it die or throw it away!

It does have a very earthy, greenery smell to it.. my downstairs entryway smells like the plant now!

Here is a picture of it attached.

Thank you so much in advance!

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Basil, welcome to the forum.

3. kiara2425

kiara2425 Member

Here is a closeup of its leaves, and its about 1.5 ft tall, not counting the planter.

It would be cool if it was basil, as I've never had a basil plant before. But before I'd actually use it to make anything, I want to double check that it is indeed basil by showing you a closeup of the leaves.

Thanks for the prompt reply and greeting. This forum is amazing, really. After finding it and posting, I looked around other threads and have now put it on my bookmarks!

Attached Files:

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

The opposite leaf arrangement and fragrance say basil to me. However you shouldn't
    try it until you & another gardener are comfortable with the ID. Know someone who
    cooks? They'd almost certainly recognize the plant.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Basil for me too

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

100% basil. If you keep pinching off the flowers, it will keep growing indefinitely.

What a cool thing to have left at your doorstep!