Exotic bloom at UBCBG

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Nadia White Rock, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

I love to find anything new and exotic in our garden. These flowers brighten up the garden and bring summer and even spring back.

Sternbergia lutea, looks like crocus and one of the common names of this flower is Yellow Autumn crocus,native from Western Mediterranean to Central Asia
    Sternbergia lutea -Autumn daffodil- Winter daffodil-Yellow Autumn crocus,Western Mediterranean,T.jpg
    Moraea spathulata, looks like iris, native to S. Africa
    Moraea spathulata, S. Africa.jpg
    Nerine bowdenii, not so rare in Vancouver, native to S. Africa
    Nerine bowdenii, S Africa.jpg
    Chrysanthemum zawadskii subsp. acutilobum, native to Korea, Primorye(Russia). Chrysanthemums are always autumn flowers, but looking at these I feel summer.
    Chrysanthemum zawadskii subsp. acutilobum, Korea, Primorye(Russia).jpg

More flowers on Franklinia and her leaves got great color.
    Franklinia alatamaha,Georgia(USA).jpg

Spartium junceum, native to n Africa,w Asia, s Europe, this is amazing, I feel like this small bush in bloom forever.
    Spartum junceum,n Africa, w Asia, s Europe,1AAF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2017
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Spartium is classed as a noxious weed down here.

3. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe, but I don't see this plant a lot in gardens. And nice to have it blooming in October.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If it's seen as a threat down here, it's going to be a source of wariness, if not concern up there - nurseries may not be selling it.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I wrote that plant up on the Botany Photo of the Day. That plant has been there since 1995 and plants have been grown in the garden since 1977. The Alpine Garden curator, Brent Hine, watches for seedlings. I have rarely seen fruit and it is usually not well formed. Not sure what keeps it from spreading. It is probably right at the edge and might easily adapt to our environment, if any seedlings ever survive a season, so probably better not planted in the home garden.