New blooms are still coming

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Nadia White Rock, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Even almost all trees are now with fruits, some of them are prepared for flowers or have second bloom. We are still waiting for Tetradium glabrifolium, Schefflera delavayi, Skimmia × confusa 'Kew Green' in bloom.
    And not only Heptacodium miconioides(Seven's sons) is in bloom right now.
    Lagerstroemia fauriei outside of garden just opened a few flowers, not much yet, but for exotic and not native tree it is a sign that it can survive and bloom in our climate
    Lagerstroemia fauriei 2.jpg

I love Alpine garden! There is always something what I have never seen before.

Baccharis pilularis ssp. consanguinea and Vernonia gigantea, the tallest and most impressive one right now in the North Garden (Aster family)
    Baccharis pilularis ssp. consanguinea.jpg Vernonia gigantea=Vernonia altissima.jpg

Cypella herbertii, Watsonia wilmaniae, Watsonia fourcadei (Iris family)
    Cypella herbertii -Iridaceae.JPG Watsonia wilmaniae.jpg Watsonia fourcadei3.jpg

Muehlenbeckia axillaris, creeping wire vine from New Zealand, Tasmania(Knotweed family)
    Muehlenbeckia axillaris-Polygonaceae, New Zealand,  Tasmania.jpg

Ephedra chilensis from Chile with fruits(Ephedra family)
    Ephedra chilensis.jpg

Yellow salvia,tag says Salvia cyanescens but when I looked on Internet flowers of this sp. are not yellow
    Salvia cyanescens-q4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That must be the blue thing behind it. I wasn't paying much attention after you complained about how sticky the yellow one was.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Spellcheck: Chile.

4. Nadia White Rock

Maybe. But my attention was to the yellow one. I even didn't look at blue.

5. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

The yellow one looks like Salvia glutinosa - it is in bloom here now, and the description of it being sticky would fit. If so, then the large leaves in the photo belong to it, and the smaller leaves to the blue-flowered one.

The blue-flowered one is certainly not Salvia cyanescens (no matter how confused the internet record is for this one)... it looks like Salvia pratensis? Mine finished blooming long ago, however they would rebloom if cut back...

6. Nadia White Rock

Thank you everybody! I was really shocked how sticky was this plant, I had to go to wash my hands after touching it.