Iris Questions

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Sea Witch, May 29, 2012.

1. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

Hi there:

I have 2 questions about Irises.

Photos 1 and 2 are mature irises in my backyard that I inherited. No idea what species or cultivar. They are tall, about 4' and flowers are small, about 3" across. My question is this: Is it important for the health of the irises to divide them or does it do them any harm to just leave them clumping as they wish, no matter how big the clump gets? Before going to Photo 3, notice in Photo 1 and 2 that the irises appear healthy with green unblemished foliage.

IMG_1442 - 2012-04-27 at 23-28-53.jpg

IMG_1443 - 2012-04-27 at 23-29-46.jpg

IMG_1431 - 2012-04-27 at 23-13-05.jpg

Now here are some irises in another bed in my front yard. Several different cultivars are planted. I planted these 3 months ago. Several are blooming, but every single one has leaves that are yellow or brown tipped at the ends. Why is this and is there anything I can do about it? Are they doomed?

In the same bed, all my other plants look healthy:

Anemones
    Hemerocallis
    Blanketflower

IMG_1434 - 2012-04-27 at 23-16-17.jpg

IMG_1432 - 2012-04-27 at 23-14-09.jpg

IMG_1433 - 2012-04-27 at 23-15-05.jpg

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Siberian iris
    Bearded iris
    Poppy anemone
    Daylily
    Blanket flower (or similar)

The Siberians may never need to be split but bearded irises go weak in the center and are therefore periodically lifted and divided, the old parts in the middle being discarded. During damp weather slugs will spoil this latter one unless site is too open and barren for them, or you keep the plants baited.

The anemone looks like it needs to be fertilized.

3. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

I'm bumping this up, hoping someone can answer the question about the irises with yellow tipped leaves.....

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They often do that here, sometimes it's fungal. The wild parental species come from desert areas where they may go dormant after flowering, like tulips etc. I only plant re-blooming cultivars of bearded irises, in addition to the better value of the twice-per-year flowering these tend to keep a better summer foliage appearance.

5. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

thank you very much