Sick Lace Leaf Maple?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by whobebubba3, Apr 17, 2012.

1. whobebubba3

whobebubba3 Member

Have never had issues with this tree. Just noticed that some of the leaves are wilting and changing. I live in Ohio and we have had some crazy weather changes as of late. Pictures are attached and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

• -1.jpg
      -1.jpg
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
    • -2.jpg
      -2.jpg
      File size:
      100.7 KB
      Views:
    • -3.jpg
      -3.jpg
      File size:
      133.4 KB
      Views:
    • -4.jpg
      -4.jpg
      File size:
      147.1 KB
      Views:
  2. whobebubba3

whobebubba3 Member

I guess to build on my initial post, does it even look sick? I have not a clue, and through my research, I can't really make any conclusions. Hoping someone with a bit more experience could assist. Heck, could this just simply be weather damage?

Truly is a beauty, hopefully nothing serious...

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Did you have frost after the tree leafed out? I live in OH by Lake Erie, so I have been spared from many of the frosty mornings, but my parents live an hour south and they have been hit pretty hard several times this spring. Because of the 2 week stretch of 70's and 80's in March, everything is about 5 weeks ahead. That is why you may have never had this problem before with the leaves. They tend to hold up to light late season frost, but the leaves are further along than usual and there have been several hard frosts this spring.

The leaf damage can also occur when the tree is recently planted and is stressed by the heat and some of the roots were allowed to dry either at the nursery, during transport, or during planting. Sometimes it can take a couple of weeks before the damage starts to show up as a result. Given the time of year, I would tend to believe its frost.

If you have the time and you don't like the appearance, then you can use sharp scissors or bonsai shears to cut the leaf stalk where it connects to the leaf. The energy from the remaining leaf stalk will help form the secondary bud underneath and the stalk will dry up and fall off. The bud underneath will swell and new leaves will emerge latter this spring. Otherwise, the severely damaged leaves will drop off, and new leaves will emerge. The damaged leaves will also help protect the leaves underneath from future frost. So if you remove the damaged leaves and don't protect the tree from frost, you will just end up with the same thing again, so I usually wait until latter before removing any damaged eaves. It's up to you, but from the pictures it does not appear unsightly, so I would wait to take any action or just let things happen naturally.

So in my opinion, your tree is not sick, it's simply slightly damaged from environmental stress of this unusual spring.

4. whobebubba3

whobebubba3 Member

Live in central Ohio, have had about two bad frost since that crazy warm spell. So frost damage sounds right. Just have never seen the tree do this, but then again, have never seen weather like this either....

Thanks for your help!