British Columbia: Flowering perennials in early Àugust

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Terri R, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Terri R

Terri R Member

Hi,
    I`m a newly addicted gardener and am wanting to start a perennial garden for my son`s wedding August 4th. I`m in North Delta which I believe is zone 7. Could anyone please suggest some perennials that would be in bloom by Aug 4th. I have both full sun and partial sun. Thank you very much for any ideas.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Frikart aster
    Geranium Rozanne

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Hardy Fuchsias provide spectacular blossoms all summer long, lasting until freezing weather arrives. There are many varieties with large, double blossoms that rival the tropical ones that are more common. I've grown 3 varieties successfully for at least 15 years, with no winter protection, although I would recommend a loose mulch around the crowns during the winter. "Santa Clause" and "Double Otto" are two of the varieties that have worked well, but I'm not sure of their current availability. They are supposed to like full sun; but I've grown them in a circular bed directly under a peach tree, where they have thrived without any pest problems.