Identification: Which single white weeping cherry, early mid season?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Nadia White Rock, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wendy here. I copied/merged this from postings of Nadia's in White Rock, so the system thinks she started this thread.

Here are two trees posted in White Rock that I'd led Nadia to call 'Snofozam', but Ron B has called that into question.

132aStr between 20 and 20aAve unknown to me tree
    20120325_132aStr20aAve_unknown_NadiaWhiteRock3.jpg 20120325_132aStr20aAve_unknown_NadiaWhiteRock0.JPG 20120325_132aStr20aAve_unknown_NadiaWhiteRock1.JPG
    20120325_132aStr20aAve_unknown_NadiaWhiteRock4.JPG 20120325_132aStr20aAve_unknown_NadiaWhiteRock8.JPG

140aStr near 17bAve weeping Snofozam (???) tree
    20120327_140aStr17bAve_Snofozam_NadiaWhiteRock2.jpg 20120327_140aStr17bAve_Snofozam_NadiaWhiteRock4.JPG 20120327_140aStr17bAve_Snofozam_NadiaWhiteRock33.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Snofozam

Have these all been compared and determined to be the same? I have doubts about at least a couple - older, gnarly ones could be particularly suspect, unless this American introduction somehow got into that area and spread around sooner than down here.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks, Ron. Hard to compare them when they're all private trees. Only the VanDusen one came with a label. 'Snofozam' was introduced in 1985. When did it start showing up in Seattle?

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I found a nursery's blog posting with photos of a tree said to be 30-35 years old (in 2011). That should be close to original for this cultivar, so that could give some indication what size to expect for an old tree.

5. Nadia White Rock

Actually I am not agree myself with these trees as Snofozam, I found some of them, I think, mostly in new developed areas.They all have cut short branches. A bit of mess on the top and nothing allow to look weeping.

From my last year I have pictures with white flowers but weeping, flowers different more delicate and different shape. This tree is not in bloom yet.I was thinking about this tree as Snofozam

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

Since close ups are being taken it should be possible to compare anatomical details without picking specimens, same as with other Japanese cherries that have been hashed over here. All Jacobson, Trees of Seattle - Second Edition (2006) says about the local presence of 'Snofozam' is that it is new, was introduced around 1985 and is common (in Seattle). Around 1985 is when it came on the market anywhere, not when it started being planted here (or in BC). To know if any larger, older trees were possible in Vancouver you'd have to find out when it started being planted there.

There is also, of course the possibility that it was circulated previously under a different name. Old plants do sometimes get put on the market as new ones.

7. Nadia White Rock

All the same. I couldn't find them beautiful maybe because of not proper pruning? Flowers look nice but tree is not

8. Ron B

Same flower structure, hairiness etc.? Such details is how Japanese cherry cultivars are told apart.