1. violetbadger

violetbadger Member

Does anyone have an opinion on this product? Is it harmful? I've got some serious turf to compost and would like to speed it up.

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

I don't use this product. I do make sure there is Nitrogen added to the compost or turf heap if I need it to become more of a fertilizing mulch & to rot more quickly. Nitrogen ("N") comes in many forms e.g. chemical fertilizer, organic fertilizer, urea in a package (or one can pee on the heap) & in agricultural manure. The amount is a bit of a guessing game, unless you test the material repeatedly, as some people would recommend. Turf is lumpy & mine tends to take a long time (2-3 years) to rot down, unless helped along by turning & adding nitrogenous material.

3. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I used it once many years ago, until the container was empty. It's made for compost, which is used to grow vegetables.
    I don't recall it being laced with chemicals.

You still need to set up your compost heap so it's layered and can get hot enough to work.

Put a tarp over the turf so it gets no sun or the edges will continue to grow when it is laying upside down.