Availabilty of Aliette

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by rockland, Oct 17, 2011.

1. rockland

rockland Member

Hi all:

I just received a report from the Plant Diagnostic lab in Abbotsford with the news that my neighbour's garden needs treatment for pythium/phytophthora sp but without any recommendation as to how the problem might be controlled (we garden as a two man collective on such things since he still has difficulty with English). Many hours later I've discovered that Ailette would do the trick (Companion bacterial fungicide could be better but is unavailable in Canada), but Victoria being Victoria the stores seem reluctant to carry any fungicide at all. Oak Bay even bans Bordeaux mixture. Help. Where in Vancouver might I acquire it? Or I would appreciate any thoughts on root rot (mostly affecting his fine Italian lettuces). Also I can't find a garden description of "drench" as opposed to a heavy spray. Is it just a well watered soil, or perhaps a slurry. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Water molds are common, maybe the site needs better management techniques including installation of drain lines. Try looking into that angle (good sanitation and water management), this can include not bringing infested stock onto a site and not splashing infested water around. Wetness is the friend of water molds.

4. rockland

rockland Member

Thanks all for your responses.

First on my desire to acquire some Aliette. When the Plant lab in Abbotsford after identifying the pathogen pythium/phytophthora as the culprit affecting a long and very well managed garden I assumed that a fungicide or other control could be found, and apparently it can, just not by those who need it. The Lab's thoughts on this very nasty problem were "You may need to manage slug population to minimize damage in future" Thanks!

The fact is, very little garden waste builds up and we've had a slug eradication programs in place for years. The site is about a quarter acre which includes perhaps 15 or so fruit trees. And it is almost always clear of garden waste and leaves. There are no water problems, except keeping is properly irrigated.

Between myself and my neighbour (gardening partners for years) there's about 75 years of experience, 30 or so of it almost full time. What is deeply offensive is to know that a control program that works (and can be used by any commercial grower, no matter how skilled) is denied to us.

I would be happy to register as a commercial grower (most of what we grow is given to others) but how that is accomplished I don't know. Any advice would be welcome. Can one receive some kind of temporary license to use Aliette?

On an earlier post it appeared to me that Aliette was commonly used by flower gardeners in the lower mainland; is that the case? If so where did they acquire same? Help....Rockland rocs@shaw.ca