Identification: Grasses at Seattle Public Library

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Edgeworth2, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Edgeworth2

Edgeworth2 Member

I am trying to identify these ornamental grasses from the Seattle Public Library. I have attached photos from my recent (early sept) visit.

grass 1: wide flat (almost fleshy) blades, slight variegation at margins, not flowering
    grass 2: narrow and thin blades, soft edges, lies flat in many areas, spike inflorescent
    grass 3: thin blades with very sharp edges, floppy, not in flower (in foreground of photo- not black mondo grass)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Grass 3 looks like Cortaderia of some sort - inflorescences will help that ID immensely.

3. Edgeworth2

Edgeworth2 Member

Thanks for the reply. I agree it looks like some kind of cortaderia, but I took that photo a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't a single inflorescent of dried seed head. I have attached a few more photos for scale and growth habit.

The edges of the blades are very sharp. it is sort of floppy/flat and had zero evidence of flower or seed head. Maybe pennisetum velosum?

I believe I have identified the first two:

grass 1 Carex morrowii
    grass 2 Sesleria autumnalis

Attached Files:

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Maybe. Consciencious landscapers in your area are normally quite vigilant about deadheading Cortaderia, simply because if they don't it can go invasive very very quickly. Personally, I grow it for the seed heads. Then again, I also live within its native range.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I see no Cortaderia in these pictures. The one with the black mondo grass might be a sedge. Have you asked at the library if they have any information about the design?