Transplanting an established grape vine

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Linda S, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Linda S

Linda S Member

I have a grape vine that I want to move to a different property. We just purchased the land where the vine is currently located and it has obviously been neglected. The existing arbor (built of 1 x 2s on a very weak 2 x 4 frame) has caved in. There arre 3 vines coming up from the ground. The main one is about 4-5 inches in diameter at the base and the other 2 are about 2 incles in diameter they are all intertwined with each other. The vines are at least 50 feet long and have gotten intertwined into the neighbors trees and other plants. I know I would likely have to cut back the vines but hope to wait formoving this and doing any major upset with it till after the grapes are ripe. There are at least 50 grape bunches through out.

I have access to a backhoe to dig it up and place it in a pickup to move it.

I am in process of planning the arbor to build in its new location but need advice, will this even work? Will the plant likely live or not? If not, do you have a good reference for learning how to take cuttings and plant it that way.
    Thanks Linda S

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

A couple decades ago I cut one back hard to a few feet, leaving a bunch of smaller branches and leaves....then I dug up the rootball, put it in a tarp and moved it across town.

It came back like wild fire the next year in the new location. All I did was throw bone meal in the hole.

This past week I had to build a grape arbor for an established plant, that was over twenty five feet long. The people had it growing on a saggy rope between two 4x4's.

I will tell you from experience that it will be easier to build the arbor first and then plant the grapes.

Grapes seem to be pretty tough.

My company (me doing all the work) built a twelve foot long arbor, six feet tall, cemented into the ground, using quality smooth cedar....with tax and labor it cost the client about $1200.00. It should last at least twenty years and has increased their property value.