Sourwood Tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Curtis Riess, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Curtis Riess

Curtis Riess Member

I planted a Sourwood tree in the backyard in March and was having a problem with the tips of the leaves turning black and some red spots on the leaves. That has not been the case for several weeks now and I thought I was in the clear. However, I have noticed that for a few weeks now the tree will drop leaves ( about every second day there will be one or two leaves on the ground). It is in a mainly sunny location and again in mainly clay soil. The tree still has lots of leaves and there is also some new growth on the tree. I water it twice a week by hand, each time giving it a full watering can of water. It also gets the pop up sprinkler on it twice a week but I am not sure how much gets to its roots. Do I have a problem with the tree or is this normal for a first year sourwood tree in this type of location?

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I'm not certain about the black tipped leaves or the red spots without a picture. Regarding the black tips, what did you fertilize with and what amount comes to mind first?
    The red spots could be a fungus from a damp spring.

As for the leaves falling off, the tree probably doesn't need them. It has been hot and alot of deciduous trees lose leaves in the summer. It helps to conserve their water reserves.

It could be a good thing...you won't have to clean up as many leaves in the fall.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've seen blackening of these before, it's probably bacterial. Other than that tree needs good drainage and is native to a moist climate. In the Carolinian forest a typical habitat is bedrock outcroppings.

4. Curtis Riess

Curtis Riess Member

Thanks for the information, you mentioned that it is native to a moist climate. I am probably not overwatering it then as that was one concern of mine. Thanks again

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Poke around in the soil to see what the moisture situation is. Include the original root ball to make sure it is not shedding water to the soil around it, when a clay field soil root ball has gotten dry inside before planting or the new specimen is installed with coarse potting soil on the roots the original root ball may often be dry despite frequent moistening of the soil around it.

In the case of an amended planting hole or intact potting soil root ball surrounded by damp heavy soil there may be water collecting around the roots, in a manner of a sump.

6. Curtis Riess

Curtis Riess Member

Ok, I will poke down a few inches in the original rootball ( which I suspect is mostly clay because the seven foot sourwood was very heavy ) and the surrounding topsoil to see what the moisture situation looks like. When I water I do tend to NOT water at the base of the tree but a foot or so away to encourage the roots to grow outward ( I read that somewhere ). Thanks for the ideas, Curtis.