Bonsai tree covered in moss

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by willow6228, Jul 8, 2011.

1. willow6228

willow6228 Member

HI

I have a 20 year old bonsai tree. Green moss has covered the lower 1/4 of the trunk.

Although the moss appears attractive, I've read that the moss causes the bark of the tree to remain moist causing eventual bark and truck rot.

I wish to remove the moss, however, am afraid that it will ring bark the tree as the moss is being scraped off.

Ideas regarding how to remove the moss??

Many thanks, WilloW

2. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

what kind of Bonsai?

3. willow6228

willow6228 Member

HI - thanks for your reply.

The tree is a conifer - the species eludes me at the moment.

I had an attempt at scraping some moss off using tweezers, however, the bark came off with the small bit of moss I removed.

I was thinking vinegar may work to kill the moss. WilloW

4. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

put a few rusty nails in a cup of water for a week or 2 and spray with a mister might work well.

5. willow6228

willow6228 Member

Hi - Thanks for your input and suggestion. Would this damage the bonsai? or only kill the moss?

I'm very keen to not cause damage to the actual plant as its been with me for sometime now :) WilloW

6. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

I don't see it damaging the Bonsai. Iron is used to kill moss and as a foliar spray(Iron Chelate) to treat Chlorosis. A rusty nail or 2 is a trailer park remedy attempting the same results as Iron Chelate.

An easier safer method would be to place it somewhere with better air circulation and where it will recieve a little more sun.

Moss spreads by spores and if you have moss around the area in which you keep the Bonsai it will return again. The rusty nail treatment would also prevent moss from growing in the future by creating a surface enviroment on the bark that would not be ideal for moss reproduction. You would spray the Bonsai once every couple of months.

That is if you really want it gone...............
    Some Bonsai artist slave to get moss to grow on pots and plants. They don't hurt the tree and in some ways help it retain moisture and deflect heat. It's when the moss becomes to waterlogged and in a position that gets poor circulation that you have to watch out as it is this enviroment that will propagate Liverworts. These little guys are cute when they are wet but once they dry out they become Leathery and will steal moisture from your tree.
    You could paint the rusty nail water or an Iron Chelate onto areas that are getting a bit to heavy with moss then that way you would not have to fret about the possibility of your plant dying.

7. willow6228

willow6228 Member

Hi MoDirt - many thanks for your detailed reply. I'll apply the mixture on some the upper trunk areas to limit the growth. It's winter here (Tasmania Australia) and the sun is rather low on the horizon and winter rains come & go. It's also the moss growing season, During summer some of the moss may dry out & die back.

As for liverworts, we have them here. But, none on this tree! They do indeed look cute and green when wet :)

Thank you, WilloW