Identification: help me ID this plant!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MissDana, Apr 8, 2005.

1. MissDana

MissDana Member

About a year and a half ago, I took a few "babies" off of a friends plant and since then, they have fourished, becoming several full grown plants. They are really neat, with "babies" around the perimeter of each leaf. These "babies" will randomly fall from the leaves onto the soil and begin growing into their own full sized plants. Recently (within the past few weeks), I've noticed that a few of the "babies"--still attached to leaves-- have begun growing "babies" of their own (3 generations, all attached to each other). I have asked several people (supposedly knowledgable about plants) and consulted several books and websites and have been unsuccessful in identifying this plant. If anyone could help, I would be grateful. I have attached a few pictures, but have many more if other views are needed to ID it. Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey MissDana, unfortunately your images did not attach. Read this thread for instructions on that.

My guess on your plant would be Kalanchoe daigremontiana, known as mother of a thousand and devil's backbone. Another plant that I know of also produces babies on the leaves, Tolmiea menziesii (piggyback plant), but it produces little plants at the leaf base not at the edges. Try an image search to see if these match your plant.

3. MissDana

MissDana Member

I edited my post and was able to attach the pics. Hopefully that will help with identification. I looked up the plants that you suggested and it wasn't any of them. Any other ideas?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmm. Your plant looks very much like Kalanchoe daigremontiana, but the leaves are more rounded. Probably close. I am not an expert on this. Lets see what others think about your plant now that you've got the photo up.

5. MissDana

MissDana Member

Thanks so much for your help! After a year and a half, I have finally figured out what this amazing plant is. It is a hybrid between Bryophyllum crenatum and Bryophyllum daigremontianum. The hybrid is called Bryophyllum crenatodaigremontianum. Again, thank you!

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

If it's an intra-genus(?) hybrid, shouldn't it be named Bryophyllum x crenatodaigremontianum? It's a mouthful either way!

7. no because its a mix between the bryophyllum crenatum and the bryophyllum diagremontanium

wow if i messed up with spelling those srry they are really long words.

i previously owned one of this exact plant that i obtained from a friend and it was quite a fun plant to have. whoever has it should get some enjoyment out of it

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, Junglekeeper's right about the naming of the hybrid (see see here), at least in theory. In practice, I doubt that the name has been formally published, so it's a name that doesn't really have a formal basis.

Also, Kalanchoe daigremontiana is the accepted name for Bryophyllum daigremontianum, so that adds another level of trying to decipher whether this hybrid actually has a valid name.

9. Tanji

Tanji Member

hi I know your plant as a mexican hat plant.

Tanji

10. brenda kelley

brenda kelley Member

hello,
    that is a mother of a thousand plant dont know the scientific name for it though
    brenda

11. biochic

biochic Member

We call them Maternity Plants...
    Maybe they should be called plant of a thousand names!??!

12. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I believe it is Bryophyllum 'Crenatodaigremontianum'. It was introduced by The Huntington in 1995 as an ISI offering... ISI 95-36 (HBG 73004) and was published in Cact. & Succ. Journ. of Amer. 67(2): 100, fig. 19 (1995).

13. Tanji

Tanji Member

i dont know how my name got on this thred but it is not mine thanxs for all the addvice but i know all about this plant.

14. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Tanji, Curious about your response, I took another look at this. I did not notice how old this post was when I posted to it! It began back in April of 05!!

I see you responded to this long ago, in Feb of 06. Maybe you just don't recall doing that so long ago. You probably got a notice in email, right? That would be just because you have an earlier response & most likely have your preferences set to notify you on threads in which you've participated. This post was revived 2 weeks ago. Mystery solved??? :D