Japanese Red Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by j0eyds, Feb 27, 2011.

1. j0eyds

j0eyds Member

I have a 5 year old japanese red maple that was damaged by the weight of snow this season. A limb has broken and the trunk has split. I am looking for suggestions on how to try and save the tree.

I have attached a picutre, the split stops about a foot from the from the ground.

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_2916.jpg

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Very difficult. But if it were my tree I'd tightly bind the two sides, using rubber ties, together. And hope for the best.

It's been a tough winter in the NE US, I expect to be hearing about a lot more damage... sadly.

Good luck with your tree,

-E

3. j0eyds

j0eyds Member

Thanks Emery for the suggestion. Any particular rubber ties?

Bonnie

4. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

I wouldn't have high hopes that the wound can heal, but you should be able to save the tree. Emery's suggestion is the best option. Even if the wound doesn't heal over, at least you will reduce the chance that the split will grow. I would use a bicycle tire innertube sliced into 2 inch strips. Wrap the trunk with firmly, stretching the rubber abit, but I wouldn't make it too tight.

Leave it on until Fall, and then remove and replace it with a fresh rubber strip.

Another option would be to drill a small hole through the 2 branches about 1/3 of the way up the split and run a small cable or bolt through the holes to keep the split from growing. On such small branches, this may be difficult and may not work, so I'd stick with Emery's idea.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Bonnie,

The idea is to not restrict too much (pinch) the bark and impede the flow of nutrients. So flat strips is ideal as Sasquatch suggests. You can even use duct tape, although remember you want to get it off again someday without stripping the bark.

I have one that was partially eaten and then stepped on and broken in the central split by a deer. Not as bad as your case, but 2 years on it seems to be doing fine.

cheers,

-E

6. j0eyds

j0eyds Member

Thank you both Emery and Sasquatch. We were so bummed to see this after the thaw and will do our best to save it with your suggestions and let you know how we make out...

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Wish you were in my neck of the woods.

Pretty sure I could figure out a way to brace it for you. It would not be "like new" again, but could probably squeeze a lot of mileage out of the tree.

Assuming it's a weeping Japanese maple.

I'd use a combination of small bolts and washers or lag screws. And probably a small 1/16" aircraft cable that stretched to a small anchor on each side. It could be inconspicuous.

Here's a Crape Myrtle where I used the cable to prevent in advance, what happened to your maple. Someone had used an ugly bunch of wire and hose, which were replaced with the stronger and less conspicuous bracing. There are two or three cables, and they are not easy to see, standing back.

Attached Files:

8. j0eyds

j0eyds Member

M.D. Thanks for your input. We have had similar suggestions and I think we are going to go with a small bolt with the washers. We are also going to use Grafting Wax to seal although that will be a first for us. I appreciate the offer for help if you were in the area, we surley would have accepted it. Regards Bonnie

9. M. D. Vaden

I modified your photo, putting your tree back together in it.

One you match the big pieces together, consider running long lag screws where I put the arrows. If I'm viewing it right, it looks like you could pre-drill and insert a long - maybe 8 inch or 10 inch - lag screw. Like a 3/8" diameter shank one.

Needs pre-drilling though so it does not split like a wedge. At least half the distance of the hole.

And the hole must be slightly smaller than the diameter of the threads so they still grip.

Then you could add other small bolts along the trunk. But long length lag screws would really put a lot of hold into the repair.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

10. j0eyds

j0eyds Member

Wow. I really appreciate you taking the time on this. I have attached another photo and since this was taken there is no more weight from the snow on the branches so the split has come together a bit. Again your time and suggestion is appreciated.

IMG_2920.jpg

11. M. D. Vaden

Basically what this photo conveys to me is that spanning a thin cable from one side of the canopy to the other will probably not work with this tree. So the bolting or lag screws will probably have to do the job this time. And probably should work.

If the tree can build growth up on itself over the years ahead, you may be able to add a small cable. Or you may just need to add an extra bolt someday if the width adds weight.

You know what I'd try?

Ever seen where these trees naturally graft on their own?

I'd start taking twigs from each side, bracing them, and grafting the tips together. In other words, the trees limbs will become the cabling system. It should be very easy to do.

Here's a willow that did it on it's own. Some big coast redwoods have done it naturally too, and remained stronger because of it.

The photo shows where it grafted into the side of a limb. What I'm suggesting is a bit different, by grafting tips of opposing twigs together. Then they will increase in girth and strength each year as wood accumulates.

Attached Files:

12. j0eyds

j0eyds Member

I do have two smaller limbs that broke so we can try bracing those. And I like the idea of eventually adding a cable to help support the weight. This has been an extremely tough winter and hopefully we won't see another one this bad for another 30 years.

Happy Spring....