Resizing your images, the easy way

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Elmore, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Hey fellow Maple fans, there probably isn't another Genus as photogenic as Acer. Many images posted are just a tad to big. I have dial up...yeah, yeah, I know, "get with the times, get a DSL connection" but that option is not as easy where I'm located and I don't want to pay what their asking for a satellite link but you can resize your images by using this free and easily used program.
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    Once downloaded and installed, simply select file, then open your file, select image then resize, select the 640 x 480 pixels or any other size desired (hopefully smaller), click okay, then go to file and select save. I generally choose the 640 x 480 pixels option. If you want to keep your outrageously large image, be sure to copy it or rename your resized pic so that it doesn't overwrite your obscenely huge photo. Your time and attention is appreciated. Elmore

P.S. With Windows XP you can resize multiple images in one operation with Power Toys/Image Resizer. You can download Image Resizer in the Power Toys options. Download from the Microsoft page : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    With the Power Toys/Image Resizer, be sure to use the advance tab and choose not to make copies or you'll have too many images in your folders. You can also choose "Make Pictures Smaller But Not Larger".

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  2. Elmore

Thanks Elmore, your a real considerate fella. Maybe we can keep this at the top of the list to better be able to help others.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

OK, Elmore I made this one sticky too. Smaller images load faster and take up less space on the server.

4. Elmore

Thanks Eric. Best to you!

5. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Resizing your images - iPhoto under Apple MacOsX

If you use iPhoto under MacOsX , you can select one of more images, then pick menu File -> Export , and save to some new folder under Pictures (or elsewhere).
    The options Size=Large and Jpeg-Quality=High yield an image file of 1280x960 pixels, taking 600k of disk space.

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

640x480 only uses about 60K :)