UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Plants: Identification

Post New ThreadReply

Old November 20th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Unknown invasive vine with yellow-hulled orange-red berries in NH

For several years, my row of forsythia bushes (In West Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA) have been plagued by an invasive vine. I've cut as much of the vine as I can identify down to the ground, but not below that. One problem is that for most of the year, the vine looks very much like the forsythia, and I don't want to cut any of that!

After the first frost, however, the vine sprouts hundreds of bright yellow berry hulls that soon open in three parts to reveal bright red-orange berries. I'll attach a photo.

Despite my regular cutting, the vine grows as if I had given it fertilizer, reaching heights of over eight feet, and even ensnaring a nearby birch tree's branches.

I'd like to positively identify this vine and then learn how to properly eradicate it from my forsythia without killing or weakening the latter.

Thanks!
Ted
Attached Thumbnails (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	01_Nov-16-2010__5TJ2960.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	86530  
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Ardent Plant Enthusiast (10000+ posts)

Re: Unknown invasive vine with yellow-hulled orange-red berries in NH

Celastrus.
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Re: Unknown invasive vine with yellow-hulled orange-red berries in NH

Thanks! Further Internet research that I've made agrees with your conclusion: Celastrus orbiculatus. I'm quite sure this is exactly what I have, and that it's going to be hard to rid it from my 75 feet of forsythia! :-( But, knowing the enemy is at least part of the battle, right?

Ted
Post New ThreadReply