Planting fruit trees in a row in greater Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by AliG, Oct 11, 2010.

1. AliG

AliG Member

Hi, I want to plant a row of semi-dwarf fruiting trees in Surrey BC, zone 8. they would stand on the edge of a ditch (good drainage!) where a hedge used to grow (heavy snows ruined them so out they came). I have seen it suggested to plant different varieties both because they well cross fertilize and the crops will be staggered...any other suggestions? What about planting an apple (I have 2 gravenstein and. a hosui elsewhere) and a pear and three cherries? Any prob with that idea?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If this is along a road pollutants are liable to be present. These can include lead and asbestos. 'Gravenstein' is pollen sterile so you have to have two other suitable varieties present in order to both fertilize the 'Gravenstein' and each other. Not any random cultivar will do, you have to match up specific kinds known to work with one another. Try looking for apple pollination charts on the internet, I know there are some.

3. AliG

AliG Member

Thanks for the reply: the "road" is actually a narrow lane that passes our house en route to a private piece of land with no structures on it -- so pretty much zero traffic. I have seen the cultivers for Gravenstein and will try to remember to take them with me as I search!