British Columbia: Fertilized Lawn on a Hot Summer Evening

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by maurr, Sep 22, 2010.

1. maurr

maurr Member

I used Green Up Weed & Feed 15-2-3 fertilizer on my lawn on a summer evening thinking that would be cool enough as you are not to apply this product in the heat, unfortunately the evening must have been too warm and the following days were hot, even with constant watering my lawn 40' x 20' is mostly a straw colour. My neighbours tell me it will come back in the spring, will it? I have a large package of peat moss and wondered if I spread this lightly on the lawn over a sprinkling of seed & watering a lot would this help?

2. Greenwaypros

Greenwaypros Member

It's always good to use a fertilizer that is time released. If you do so, the nutrients won't become readily available so quickly. This means it's less likely to burn your grass. And it's less likely that it will be rinsed off your property after a heavy rain.

Thanks,
    Brian

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  3. maurr

maurr Member

Thank you Brian, I will remember that. Do you know what I can do to help my lawn now?

4. Greenwaypros

Greenwaypros Member

Since I don't know much about your climate it's hard to say about the recovery. It will probably just take time to get things back to normal. Probably the best thing you can do is make sure it stays watered. If other lawns in your area with a similar type of grass are actively growing, then yours will probable recover within the season.

It would be a good idea to have your soil tested to determine what it needs. I tell people that it's like having a goal. If you have no target you will always miss your goal. So if you test your soil you will know what course to choose with fertilizer. You can go to google and type "soil test" along with your local city name and this will give you some names of places that will test your soil.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010