grape vines but no grapes

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by blasterworks, Sep 21, 2010.

1. blasterworks

blasterworks Member

hello
    I live in the portland area and have been trying to grow grapes for the past 4 years. my vines look great but i have yet to see a single grape. looking for information. i believe they are concord grape vines but i am not sure at this point. the vines are on a 8 ft trelis .thanks

2. treb001

treb001 Active Member

Some grape plants take up to 6 years to bear fruit.
    Cheers,
    Bert

3. blasterworks

blasterworks Member

ouch hope it doesnt take that long. i think i will hedge my beta and plant more of them on the same trelis.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I've been growing several varieties of grapes near Vancouver, BC; and my usual experience is that they produce one or two bunches the second year after planting and increasing numbers in subsequent years. If you have the true Concord variety, it might be different; I have no experience with it, but I understand that it is not the best choice for the coastal Pacific NW. I tried two early Concord types, Campbell's Early and Fredonia, both of which did well. I prefer the Fredonia for flavor, and it is very productive. My mother lives in Vancouver, WA, and she successfully grows several seedless hybrid varieties. The only one that I can identify is Interlaken, a very tasty variety that I also grow. So, if you are going to plant more grapes, I recommend that you try varieties other than Concord and make sure that they are early ripening ones.

5. blasterworks

blasterworks Member

Thank you. and yes i am going to do some research before buying my next vine. a friend has some that are doing well . i may see if i can get a piece of his ,,,,,
    thanks again

6. thuyghe

thuyghe Member

Just some thoughts I had from a grape growth trial I worked on recently...not sure if/how much you fertilize them, but fertilizing too much can cause the vine to drop flowers/berries in favor of vegetative growth, making the plant look really healthy but not producing the crop you probably want. Inadequate light can also be a problem as it can cause primary bud necroses. This could arise from an overly dense canopy (from too vigorous growth) or from something blocking out part of the light.