Japanese Maple white spot on leaves, turning brown and falling

Discussion in 'Maples' started by gardenweb, Sep 12, 2010.

1. gardenweb

gardenweb Member

Hi,

I recently purchased a house with two Japanese maple trees. Both were fine few months back, then I did pruning two months back and placed mulch around it.

Few past days, there is while spots (looks fungus) on edge of leaves, all of them, few have started turning brown and falling.

I did cut branch of tree to see whether its brown or not but looks fine with center being greenish tint.

Attached is close up photo,

help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

One possibility is powdery mildew, look up some pictures and see if it matches your problem. Usually worse when the roots are dry but the atmosphere is humid. If so, just hope conditions are more favorable next year and you might not be troubled again.

3. gardenweb

gardenweb Member

Thanks. But it does not like powdery mildew. It does not go away even with pretty hard rub on the leave.

4. a220

a220 Member

Hello,

I am having the same issue. Did you find out what it is and how to treat it? Thanks!!!

5. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

may I suggest a Dormant oil and copper mixture this winter. you have a form of rust believe it or not. Advise a light fertilizer application this early spring but please do not over do this......

Gardenweb do you know the make-up of your water: soft or hard this could also be a problem that somehow needs to be filtered.