Need Grape Expert

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Dusty Feller, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Dusty Feller

Dusty Feller Member

Hi there I have a grape disease going on here in Courtenay from the research I have done , I think it is either downy mildew or erineum mite.

according to the Oregon University http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/disease.cfm?RecordID=518

most of these are due to the grape erineum mite. Erineum mite damage is often confused with downy mildew.

Can anyone identify the problem for me and how would i deal with it?

thank you all..

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Dusty Feller, The only thing I can give you is - University of Calif, @ Davis, Viticulture & Enology Dept.
    Phone 530-752-0380. Google that and see if you can come up with an e-mail for them. Since they are so near the Napa Valley and the main grape growing/wine making center they have have a pretty good program. barb

3. ian66

ian66 Active Member

4. Dusty Feller

Dusty Feller Member

Thank you everyone for your help great link it looks like it's the Erineum Mite for sure, Does anyone have any idea how I deal with this Erineum Mite?
    Dusty

5. ian66

ian66 Active Member

You need to use a miticide........Garden sulphur is a miticide as well as a fungicide......

Read the label and use as directed

Ian

6. Dusty Feller

Dusty Feller Member

I will try that, also should i spray this in early spring before any foliage grows as a sort of preventive measure?

7. ian66

ian66 Active Member

Research Grape Erineum Mite, and apply the spray at the proper time.

Ian

8. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Aside from being ugly on the plants, the erineum mite is not usually considered an "economic" pest, in other words it doesn't usually have much effect on the amount or quality of grapes produced. On the other hand it can be difficult to treat because of the protection provided by the hairs. As with many afflictions, an early season start to your control measures will produce the best results (they are easier to kill when they are walking about and before they make their little nests under your leaves).

Ralph