bonzai arbutus

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by drgreenthumb, Aug 16, 2010.

1. drgreenthumb

drgreenthumb Member

Hi, I am a plant lover and would like to start a bonzai I have very little knowledge about bonzai care but would love to learn. I really like the look of arbutus, and just aquired a small tree (6in tall with 10 small leaves) and was wondering if i could start one from that ....also i should mention I do not live near the ocean so they do not normally grow here... ANY advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

3. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

dear drgreenthumb, you can try to bonsai any tree. I;ve spent a lot more time observing and pruning my bonsai than reading about them. I;m amazed at what you learn just by spending time with a tree. Also keep in mind that there are a few bad ways to keep a tree, but even more good ways. My advice for a beginning tree grower: get some trees and have fun:)

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I second that to some extent but the cultivation of potted trees, if you you want to have healthy specimens, can benefit from a list of basic do's and don't's, concerning the right time for pruning, repotting, soil composition, etc. And these depend on the species: repotting and root-pruning a Larix kaempferi in late August is one of the best way to kill it, whereas repotting and root-pruning a Cedrus libani is best done at that time.

I won't give any advice on Arbutus since the climate here is not suitable for them: one good advice if you want to grow bonsai is to use local species, ones that you can see in parks or in the wild. They are almys more delicate when they are pot-grown, but you can over-winter them with very leittle protection (a layer of dead leaves, for instance, provided that these are not infected by fungus or diseases).

5. drgreenthumb

drgreenthumb Member

Re: bonsai arbutus

Thank you for your good advice,
    AlainK: your not giving me advice on the arbutus was great advice in itself. I already have the sapling so ill try my hardest even if i have to mist it with water from the ocean lol.... but if it dies I will not try again with an arbutus. I have 3 or 4 local species of trees I recently started so your link will be helpful as well.
    HortLine: I LOVE your approach "observing and pruning your bonsai " observing & understanding your plants is a great way to keep your plants and trees happy and healthy thanks again both of you.