Transplanting Beautybush and Winterberry Hedge

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by brattman1, Aug 16, 2010.

1. brattman1

brattman1 Member

I live in a Co-op that is about to complete major renovations. Part of that is new fencing. This will displace our hedge of Beautybush and Winterberry - I hope that's the right name. How big are their root balls and is it possible to dig them up and move them now? If we don't move them, they will be destroyed by the fence construction. Please advise! Thanks!

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

It's a terrible time to do any transplanting, but as you mention, you're in a salvage situation. So...thin the bushes somewhat, pruning out any dead, damaged, or other branches growing out of sync with the general form of the bush. Don't head the top growth back, despite what you might read. Water them well, dig up as large a root ball as you can manage, and plant into a large pot or wrap the root ball in wet burlap. Move the transplants to a cool and shaded spot, and don't let them dry out. Maintain them like this until the fall, when you can re-plant them. If you can, I'd wait until the end of this week, when the weather will be markedly cooler and cloudier in Vancouver.

3. brattman1

brattman1 Member

Hi Thanks for the advice, I just hope the root balls aren't too big. Will let you know how this goes.
    brattman1