Identification: Please help identify this large tree!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by boeing, Aug 16, 2010.

1. boeing

boeing Member

Hello,

I recently purchased a new property and need help identifying this large feature tree. It has grown a bit out of control and I need to prune it (branches are weeping over driveway), I just wanted to know what it was before I start. My first guess was some sort of maple, but the leaves are quite small and the branches almost seem to weep. Hopefully your guess is better than mine.. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Maybe a Plane tree - Platanus spp? It doesn't seem quite 100% maple-y to me. The fastest test for this is to look for seeds - Maples make a samara with two wings, and Planes make a spiky ball.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Red Maple Acer rubrum or Freeman Maple A. × freemanii (Red × Silver hybrid).

4. boeing

boeing Member

Thanks for the replies. I haven't seen any seeds (wings) and I had a good look for any fruit or other distinguishing features to no avail. Here is a closer look at a leaf...

Attached Files:

5. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

I'll second Acer rubrum.

I think your expectations of this tree's eventual presence were overwhelmed rather than it growing out of control. Your tree is very much in line with what I would expect out of this species. Avoid any drastic reductions or large limb removals. Structurally and density wise, you've got a gorgeous tree. I would recommend a good climbing maintenance prune from one of your area's professionals to remove dead, dying and diseased tissue, as well as making corrections to any early structural issues (crossing/rubbing, narrow angle unions, etc.).

I should also mention that your third image of the lower trunk raised some mild concerns for me. Red Maple and narrow angle unions (bark inclusion) are a classic combination, and it can be a major weakness down low on the trunk when two stems are oscillating independently. Having a second opinion from an Arborist experienced with the species, and tree cabling/bracing systems is advised.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2010
  6. boeing

boeing Member

Thanks for the information. I will have a professional come in to give it a proper prune. Looking forward to the red leaves in the fall!

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fall color of species ranges from yellow to reddish purple, with different individuals producing different dominant colors.