Identification: Not sure what this plant is?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by sandybeach2010, Aug 12, 2010.

1. sandybeach2010

sandybeach2010 Member

Hello, new to the forum and hoping someone can help identify this fast growing plant. Two of them suddenly appeared beside our house this summer on the north side and one of them is now over ten feet tall. My best guess from a bit of internet research is Butterbar, but none of the ones I saw online seem to be this tall.
    It is actually a pretty interesting plant and seems to grow about six inches a day!
    Thanks for your help
    Sandy (a very non gardener)

Attached Files:

2. GettingFresh

GettingFresh Member

I don't know either but I would keep it. If you lose your umbrella one of those leafs should come in handy.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

[SEARCH]Paulownia tomentosa[/SEARCH], or empress tree (link searches the forums for more discussions). If you've ever been to UBC's plant sale on the Mother's Day weekend, you'll have seen these as 15m tall trees full of purple flowers.

Some people pollard these every year (in this case, cut them down to ground level) in order to enjoy the rapid growth and large leaves that result from doing so.

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

It is so very close to your house I would recommend that you remove it. Roots and all ASAP. They grow fast and very large.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

SS, what do you think of keeping it pollarded every year? That should restrict root growth.

6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hmm! Not sure.

Any tree that near a house would worry me.
    The other problem that we have found with ours, is that it sends out very vigorous suckers, they appear some distance from the tree.
    Would one pop up in the middle of the sitting room?

Maybe others who pollard them can comment.

7. sandybeach2010

sandybeach2010 Member

Thank you both very much. I would love to keep it by cutting down each fall. You're right, it is very close to the house. Where would it have come from? We have lived here for over 25 years! Thanks again for all your help.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Parent tree somewhere nearby or seed came in on or with something else.