Keep it or kill it?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Bvandyck, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Bvandyck

Bvandyck Member

I have this very pretty little plant coming up and I can't ID it. I thought it was a baby Big Leaf Maple but as it got bigger I can see its not. It looks like a climbing vine of some sort,but I've failed to find it in any of my books. So before it turns into a monster and takes over my yard I thought I would ask for help. Thank you for any info you can give me Barb

Attached Files:

2. skunkyjoe

skunkyjoe Active Member

I would keep it , it looks like Grape vine ( Vitis ) or Porcelain Berry ( Ampelopsis ) to me .

3. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Kill it, it looks like a grape vine to me.

Volunteers like this tend to be either vigorous "wild-type" reversions or need grafting onto a rootsock. Buy a grape whose behaviour is predictable. Some Vitis vines are overly vigorous & don't necessarily produce much in the way of edible or fermentable fruit.

...or kep it out of curiosity..."Will it engulf my house & strangle my cat this year, or not?"

BTW I am still looking for a recomendation for a non-Concord table grape variety for the Fraser Valley. Any ideas out there?

gb.

4. Bvandyck

Bvandyck Member

Maybe my picture isn't good enough to be clear but this plant has red stems and red veins on the leaf. Doesn't look like the wild grapes that grow across the road and the shape of the leaf is different than the Porcelain berry.
    Glass brain ....I have seven different table grapes growing and so far the favorite is a Glenora seedless purple grape. Its a very vigorous vine with medium sized grapes, quite thin skinned and very sweet.

5. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Himrod.

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I like Interlaken because of the great flavour. It is less productive than the similar Himrod but much tastier.

7. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Thanks everyone for the varieties. I aim to plant a vine this year. The last one I had was years ago. An old Concord & very musky. Think Calona Red in the '70s (Shudder!) for those that remember.

Bvandyck...it still looks like a sort of grape to me, wild or tame :) Could it be one of your rootstocks suckering or a fragment that has rooted? Just a thought.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010