Parrotia Persica 'Vanessa'

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by TMG, Aug 4, 2010.

1. TMG

TMG Member

Does anyone have any experience with this tree? It is a variety of Persian Ironwood, but has a more upright, columnar habit. Grows to about 15' x 8' in 10 years.
    I've just planted three of these along my back fence. Very happy with them so far. They're just starting to get a purple tint to the shiny green scalloped leaves.
    Are there any pruning tips I should know about? It has quite a dense growth habit.

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

The only tip that comes to mind is that recent research indicates not to prune newly planted trees for a couple of years to improve establishment.

Other than maybe defects.

: - )

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, this cultivar has a bunched up appearance and lacks the elegance of the typical plant. I would not try to fight this characteristic with thinning cuts. I would hope you have allowed enough room for planting, Persian ironwood is not a dwarf tree.

4. tblack

tblack Member

I've had the Vanessa in my back yard for about 10 years, and watched it grow from about 10' to its current 25' x 12' width. Great tree for color, texture and a screen. I'm now looking at planting three of them in the front yard. All south facing with lots of sun. Can't beat it.